1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured mourning dove! please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by waddell5farm, Aug 30, 2013.

1. waddell5farm

waddell5farm New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    bowmanville Ontario
    [​IMG]

What should I do! It is wet and seems to be deaf as it is not reacting to any loud sounds

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I was reading that it is illegal to capture a mourning dove...they are Federally protected and thus I would call a wildlife rehabilitation expert.

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/
    scroll to about halfway down the page..."what do you do if you find an injured..." and it gives a link to find an expert.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh I just noticed you are in Canada. I have no clue about Canada.

4. waddell5farm

waddell5farm New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    bowmanville Ontario
    Ok thnks for trying

5. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    It is a bit late tonight but yes, your best bet is contacting some type of rehabilitator of wild birds. You can try calling local vets to see if they have contact information.

The photo suggests that has suffered some sort of trauma (maybe a predator?) and is in shock or otherwise not doing very well. If it had a tangle with a predator such as a cat then it would need antibiotics administered by a rehabber right away as otherwise they can succumb very quickly to infection. Poor critter. I hope it does not suffer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by