Injured Mourning Dove

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tape

Chirping
Oct 20, 2020
Greetings,

A few days ago, I found a mourning dove in my yard that was missing a wing. Having dealt with similar things with my ducks, I felt confident I could help the poor guy out. So, took the duck in, gave it some first aid, and a few days later he seems to be doing fine, minus his wing. Right now I'm really not sure what to do. I obviously can't return him to the wild, but I'm not really sure I provide him adequate care. Any thoughts on what to do?

Thanks

@MageofMist is raising a once wild Rock Dove.
I have a rock dove that is a domesticated type, though doves in general are pretty easy to care for barring more exotic species. Mourning Doves are one of the easy ones care level wise.

Greetings,

A few days ago, I found a mourning dove in my yard that was missing a wing. Having dealt with similar things with my ducks, I felt confident I could help the poor guy out. So, took the duck in, gave it some first aid, and a few days later he seems to be doing fine, minus his wing. Right now I'm really not sure what to do. I obviously can't return him to the wild, but I'm not really sure I provide him adequate care. Any thoughts on what to do?

Thanks

Do you have any pictures of him?
My dove lives in a large dog crate with platforms and perches, even though yours cannot fly, he will appreciate low perches and a platform to roost on within jumping range.

I feed mine a grain-based wild bird seed mix, the more variation in the grains, the better, with the occasional leafy greens and fruit. Unsalted peanuts are also a tasty addition to their diet. He also snacks on the mealworms I give the quails. He has a food bowl on the floor as they prefer to peck around on the ground, and an elevated water bowl to reduce water fouling, though yours might need his bowl lower for ease of access.

Last edited:
The dove isn’t releasable, so a wildlife rehabilitation center might euthanize it.
I'm in a similar situation with my Little Heart & Soul. He was in the yard, with some horrible injuries to his wing and leg. I wanted to "rehab & release" but Winter came so I got him suitable "housing", did my best NOT to "bond" but, by Spring, it was obvious that his wing would never allow him to keep up with the flock or escape predators. Well, subsequently, he DID "bond". They're brilliant, really. They "know" when they're loved. So now, he's not "releasable" and YES, I too, have been told that with mourning doves, they're more likely to be euthanized because they're not "endangered" (in spite of being the most hunted... for "sport"... bird in the nation).
I've "reached out" to "experts" &c. because I'd like to continue giving him a good home & love but all I get is "You don't have a _____" (legal document) so there's nothing I can do to help you." My gut tells me it's more about money than love & respect any more.
That said, let me just tell you that they're the most loving, affectionate, inquisitive, sentient little companions. And they're NO trouble at all. Aside from the basics of food, water & a clean place, the one thing they absolutely require is "companionship". They're flocking birds & if you two stay together... you're the flock.
I'm looking forward to the responses you get here on how to proceed. (I'm taking courses on "rehabbing" but there doesn't seem to be any "licenses" that pertain to "non-releasable" doves other than "hand them over"... and, as you've already said, risk them being destroyed. For me: NOT an option.)

I have a rock dove that is a domesticated type, though doves in general are pretty easy to care for barring more exotic species. Mourning Doves are one of the easy ones care level wise.

Do you have any pictures of him?
My dove lives in a large dog crate with platforms and perches, even though yours cannot fly, he will appreciate low perches and a platform to roost on within jumping range.

I feed mine a grain-based wild bird seed mix, the more variation in the grains, the better, with the occasional leafy greens and fruit. Unsalted peanuts are also a tasty addition to their diet. He also snacks on the mealworms I give the quails. He has a food bowl on the floor as they prefer to peck around on the ground, and an elevated water bowl to reduce water fouling, though yours might need his bowl lower for ease of access.
Hi! I saw that you gave your dove a "large dog crate" & platforms & perches & it struck "home". I did the very same thing! They're so spacious, & relatively inexpensive, so easy to keep clean, and my Little Guy has all the comforts in his, including a "pool" (a glass casserole/baking dish) with a fountain in it that he LOVES splashing in (& will drink from happily... the water gets changed twice daily... I'm "obsessed")! And there are some really inexpensive, high quality "feeds" available, on-line, "finch & canary" is a perfect sort, so I have a "collection" of about 4 different kinds that I mix together for him. Some include little bits of dried fruits & veggies too. I grind the unsalted peanuts (from the supermarket) since doves don't "chew", & I grind sun-flower seed "hearts" and add them to his usual diet.

I'm SO happy to see somebody else in the same situation. It's been difficult to find equally-compassionate people in this regard. Thank you!

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act prohibits the taking, killing, capturing, transporting, harboring of the birds or hatching eggs, that which are Native to the United States of America, Europe and central Asia. All are protected by state and federal agencies.

https://www.fws.gov/birds/policies-and-regulations/laws-legislations/migratory-bird-treaty-act.php

https://www.birdlife.org/europe-and-central-asia/policy/species-protection-and-hunting-birds

Any threads started on this subject will be closed.

Thank you for your understanding.

-BYC Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom