Injured Nictitating membrane , how long to heal?

CircusRing

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2020
My husband and I are sitting in the run right now. It’s 8:30 and normally she would be back in the house. We are trying to encourage her to go in the coop but she is not having any of it. The rest of the flock is in and has their “spot” for the night. She keeps going in and out not knowing what to do (it’s so upsetting). We will probably bring her back in tonight but tomorrow night do the whole “slip her on a perch at night” thing I’ve read about. Why is raising chickens so much harder than I expected? Sigh.

CircusRing

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2020
Ok another update! She went in to the coop 20 minutes ago and is still in there!!! She is sitting on the ground by the door while the rest are up on the perches. But this is progress right?! It’s the first night I will have slept with no chicken in my bedroom for three weeks. I need this. But is this all ok? Tomorrow we will be better prepared and have a small perch for her. Should we disturb things and place her on a perch or just leave it for tonight? Scared and excited at the same time.

CircusRing

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2020
All in all I will say it too 3 to 4 weeks and it’s completely healed. It’s scarred so a bit thicker than before, but functional and she is totally fine. Reintegration has been a lesson in patience and persistence. She is now probably pretty much back in the pecking order spot she was in before the “incident” but her best friend made a new friend and now she seems to have a new besty (the boss hen at that so not a bad thing). I’ll consider this my final update and I hope that one day this post helps someone else. It’s fixable!! Thanks for all the interest and support. This is a great website.

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Oh, so glad to hear that she is settled back into the flock. It sounds like you had your hands full, but glad that you were able to help her. Thanks for the update.

Top Bottom