Injured pullet - walks with difficulty - any suggestions??

hobomom

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 16, 2007
Idaho
Hello!

Well, it wasn't my intention to purchase a pullet since I placed a chick order that morning but the kids & I went to a poultry sale on Saturday and I came home with 4-6 mo. old Buff Orpington pullet who has trouble walking. I felt sorry for her all alone in the cage and $5 later she is home with us. The lady said that she didn't know what happened to her just that when she went out to the pen to feed them on the Thursday before that the pullet was injured either by the other hens (or maybe a roo). She has difficulty in walking.

She must be at the tail-end of molting because she has new feathers under her wings & near her neck and gets quite annoyed when I push those new feathers around. She will sit all puffed up but is alert, clucks when she sees us and she will get out of her box if she wants something to eat/drink. Her poo looks normal and she usually will stand up if she has to go.

She just can't walk or stand very well without tipping at times and sometimes she acts like her one leg hurts because she will lean over on one side a bit when she is lying down. And she definitely was a little dehydrated and malnourished - possibly due to her injury (but she sure does have soft and pretty golden feathers!) She has put on a little weight since Saturday and her comb/wattle have pinked up more and are starting to turn a little reddish. My 10 yr old has been putting "Quick Chick vitamins & electrolytes for poultry" in her water - is this okay to continue and, if so, for how long?

So, any suggestions in how to treat this? I don't think she is ill since she is acting fairly normal other than the puffing up & not being able to walk. But I do have her separate from the other girls anyways. Maybe she was squashed by the other chickens she was with or got her leg caught in the pen (she is definitely was a caged hen... clean feet, long nails, sharp beak.... not like my one-yr old gals) or maybe the rooster was rough with her?

Anyways, I'm just looking for some suggestions on how to treat this mystery. Should I keep her quiet & sitting or should we try to get her to exercise her legs a bit? I've been setting her outside during the day so she can enjoy the wind & some sunshine but I'm at a loss as to what else to do for her.

Thanks!!

I would look at the bottom of the foot that seems to hurt. It could be bumblefoot which would need antibiotic treatment. If you go to search in the index and read everything that pops up when you enter Bumblefoot, you will know as much as me! I have a little hen who started limping yesterday after I removed her from her broody nest (her eggs didn't hatch). I cleaned her foot, then soaked it in diluted hydrogen peroxide. I can't see an injury, however, probably because this just happened. Then I coated her foot with triple antibiotic ointment. She was still limping today, so as soon as my vet is out of surgery, we are going to see him. He will teach me how to dress and bandage her foot to avoid aggravating the infection, and he will give her the proper antibiotic injection I am guessing. Best wishes with your pretty new Buff Orpington. I have 2 fairly new Buff Orps, too! I love them as I know you love yours!
smile.png

It's not bumblefoot - her feet look normal. Slim, smooth and no abrasions. And they are not inflamed at all. It appears to maybe be her hips after wasting away my morning. Where does time go!? She sits on her haunches (her legs will then be L-shaped) unless she leans to one side but it appears that her one hip sticks up higher and it is at this time she will mostly puff up. When I pester her she'll puff up at me anyways & then peck at the straw, towel, grass, whatever is in front of her as if she's telling me that I'm next! :) She also will sit (puffed up) with her tail up & wings poofed out a bit which I think is to balance herself? It makes her look like a baby bird that has fallen out of its nest & giving you that "grrrrrrrrrrrrr" look. Funny girl but I'm sure that she is in a bit of pain or at least discomfort. But she is alert, eats/drinks & has normal looking poo so maybe she is on the mend.

I hope she is on the mend. I was reading about gout last night and learned it can be brought about by a sudden change in diet! Perhaps our birds just have sprains. I just don't want to risk a staph infection. If my vet doesn't call me soon, I may go out of my MIND!!!!
barnie.gif
In the meantime, I have her separated with clean litter, water and food. She is holding that foot up and it is trembling. I will be so glad if and when she gets back to normal. It's bad enough feeling sorry for her that none of her eggs hatched, and she was such a good little broody hen. They DO take up alot of time, don't they? I love spending time with my flock!
love.gif

Best wishes on your hen's recovery, Airmom. It's so sad when the eggs don't hatch :-(

The treatments posted for all the ailments that our feathered friends go through really helps someone else, too, so please do keep us posted on your progress. As much as the ol' girls aggravate me at times (like the sudden egg eater I caught red-handed...er, yolk-beaked?? ...this morning <grrrrrrrrrrrr>) they are pretty entertaining & a pleasure to be around. Some times it is just relaxing watching them wander around the yard or dirt bathing. Good luck to you, too, on your hen's speedy recovery!!

I've heard of hip displacement in chicks - I've no experience with it myself - not sure if you can do anything much at her age.....

Look it up on the internet and see what you can find.

Back
Top Bottom