Injured pullet

Margo27

In the Brooder
May 2, 2016

Hi found my little 11 week old laying on the ground inside the pin thought she was dead when i didn't see her come for food as usual. Went inside she responded with squeaking when i grabbed her and picked her up she looked at me and i brought her inside put her in a cage coz other chickens were stomping on her, her name is Eagle. She is responsive somewhat opened her eyes when i called her by name. I need help identifying to what could have happened and how do i need to help her.

Sorry about your pullet. Separate her in a cage with her own food and water inside the coop or run in view of the others, and spray Vetericyn or put some plain Neosporin or Bacitracin ointment on the wound twice daily. BluKote may also work once every day or two. Make sure that she is eating and drinking. Have these chickens always been together, and are they the same age? You will need to watch their behavior, and get rid of any bullies. Is she normally low in the pecking order? If there are roosters or older hens together with her, that could be why she was attacked. I would also make sure that a predator didn't get into the coop at night and attack her.

I think she is dieing and they r all same age besides 2 bantam hens and 2 bantam roosters they r few months older i don't have any holes or anything in my cage im completely stomped right now if its a predator how could it squeeze itself in there anddoes the wound loook like anything in particular

Keep an eye on the wound to make sure it doesn't get infected. If it is hot I'd recommend keeping her in the shade...

I really hope she gets better.

I think she is dieing and they r all same age besides 2 bantam hens and 2 bantam roosters they r few months older i don't have any holes or anything in my cage im completely stomped right now if its a predator how could it squeeze itself in there anddoes the wound loook like anything in particular
The roosters could have been trying to mate her, and she was injured. Chickens will tend to gang up on a weaker or injured bird. She could be in shock, but try to get her to drink some water with electrolytes. Offer some chopped egg or tuna to coax her to eat. I hope that you can save her.

Back
Top Bottom