Injured Rooster doesn't crow

Jan 17, 2022
East Houston, Texas
I was unaware that dumping chickens was an actual thing, until random chickens started showing up in my yard.

Yesterday a rather large Lavender Orpington Roo showed up in my bushes. I brought him in to de-stress. Hours later I discover a huge scabbed area that covered most of his right side (under the wing) that extends across his back and up to his left shoulder. I am assuming he escaped a dog attack.

It's been well over 24 hours and he hasn't crowed since he arrived. Clearly he's in pain. I am wondering if a severe injury would stop his crowing.

Any advice?

Yes if he's in pain he most likely won't crow. If you clean his wunds and put him in a safe quiet place to heal,You should be hearing him crow in no time. Scramble him up some eggs protein will help and he will love you for it!

Yes if he's in pain he most likely won't crow. If you clean his wunds and put him in a safe quiet place to heal,You should be hearing him crow in no time. Scramble him up some eggs protein will help and he will love you for it!
He's eating and drinking well. No sign of infection. The wounds aren't fresh. The area was dried up and crusted over.
I am currently using ointments to soften it so I can clean it. It had feathers stuck to it, I found it by feeling for physical injuries. I wasn't prepared for the extent.

The ointment didn't work. I'm looking for infection and gave him a prophylactic injection of Tylan. He's more active today and chimed in with the other house chickens when they started trilling.

I tried redressing the wound with a wet dressing, but it is so extensive it hinders his movements. I'm going to make him a jacket out of fleece to hold it in place. But I am freaking out because I don't know how aggressive I should be cleaning this wound.

All of the feathers are gone on his back, including his saddle feathers. He is missing skin on the right side extending under his wing. The literal meat is exposed, hardened and jerky like. The left side has puncture wounds from which it is clear he was mauled by a large dog. The skin is pale and hard. The entire thing smells, but no pus, no redness, no visible insects.

How do I clean this without sending him into shock? He's really sweet and gentle. I already have 2 people willing to take him once I get him fixed up. Even missing all those feathers, he's GORGEOUS....and large.

We named him Gandalf....he's GORGEOUS and a lovely silver Grey. A textbook Lavender Orpington.

I last posted that I was using ointment and it didn't seem to be working. I left the dressing on for 2 days untouched. Today the scabs released, including the hard 'jerky like' area. It just slide off. I was horrified. He went from 'it looks to be healing' to 'how did he survive?' I changed his dressing and slathered on some Icthamol ointment. Currently using a vest cut from fleece vest to hold the it in place. I'll give him another antibiotic prophylactic tomorrow.

Gandalf is definitely doing better. We put him outside today. He is bigger than every other bird I have. Laughably my gang of 3 Silkie roos decided outside was the place to attack. They spent hours taking minor runs at him and reversing course when he nonchalantly knocked the largest out of the air with a headbutt. One is now attempting 'Best bud' scenario as his favorite Bantam Cochin hen and her sister are glued to Gandalf. They were all bathing together in my now dead garden.

His back is still roached, but I put the fleece jacket on him to protect the wound and it seems to be working out. In hindsight, coating the huge scabs in ointment takes a few days, but works like a charm.

Update. Putting a bandage on a chicken is impossible. I ended up making a small wardrobe of fleece jackets for him to protect his wound and shortly afterwards he found his way outside. Immediately began courting the hens. The Silkies were not pleased that he loves the little girls and ...well they reopened the wound. He stays away from the Bantams now as he is unrealistically docile and 5 feet from the Bantams gets a furry feathers rocket of 'Little Man Syndrome, in some cases all 3 go at him.

Now that he's protected and boundaries established, he's healed up nicely. A lot of new skin. His feathers ARE growing back. I seriously had doubts on that.

All in all, things are looking good. I don't want to rehome him, but I have more than enough roosters already.

Attachments

• 20220117_210603.jpg
    20220117_210603.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom