Injured rooster need advice

Zepher45

In the Brooder
May 24, 2023
Western Washington
So my 12 week rooster got out of his intro pen in the coop and was attacked by my ISA brown on 5/4. I’ve separated him and have been treating him with triodine/gauze wrap. I am wondering if I am going about this the right way. Need advice. See attached photo, WARNING GRAPHIC.

Attachments

• IMG_3515.jpeg
    IMG_3515.jpeg
    717.6 KB · Views: 46
Here is the best advice from Azygous, who is the wound expert on here. It looks like you are doing good, but you can try anything that they suggest, too. This was from a post talking about a mammal wounding the chicken, but just disregard that part.

"1. Treat for shock as the number one step. Give warm Gatoraid or mix a half teaspoon of sugar into a fourth of a cup of warm water with a pinch of salt and baking soda. Have the patient drink it all or syringe it into the beak.

2. Flush the wound well with saline. This is better than soap and water as it maintains the PH of the tissues. But warm soap and water will do. You need to wash away the bacteria from the wound.

3. Inspect the wound carefully. If it has a skin flap dangling, keep that. Do not cut it off. Look for bite, tear or puncture marks indicating a puncture wound. If you see this, the patient will need an oral antibiotic such as amoxicillin. Bacteria from the predator’s mouth can be injected deep into tissue and can kill in as little as 24 to 48 hours. You can order this https://www.kvsupply.com/item/aqua-mox-250mg-capsules-100-count/P06184/250mg once a day for ten days. Or you may be able to find this or something similar at TSC or a pet store.

4. Spray with Vetericyn wound treament and let dry. Use a topical antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin or a generic without pain killer in it to coat the wound. If there's a skin flap, lay it across the wound that has just been coated with the ointment. Then smooth on a generous amount over the top of the skin flap to hold it in place.

5. It's useless to try to stitch a wound on a chicken. Don't even try. It's also useless to try to bandage a wound other than on the feet. The chicken will not tolerate it. It will be pulled off faster than you can blink an eye.

6. Clean the wound every day following the above steps. Keep the wound covered with the ointment. Never allow the wound to get dried out or it will not heal."

Just post any other questions.

Yeah, it looks like surface damage just don’t want it to get infected. It might be off topic but do you have any advice on the bullying hen? She’s been a problem this whole interrogation, she will go out of her way to beat all the pullets and the roo into the ground. This attack was the last straw and she has been in solitary confinement since. I’ve talk to the people a the local Co-op and other who have chickens and the general thought it to remove her from the flock. She’s one of our main producers and is super sweet to us and her sisters she grew up with. We don’t know what to do from here.

Goodness. There have been a lot of threads recently about super aggressive hens. If you don't mind, maybe you could start a new thread in the behaviors section? Hopefully, that will get the attention of some of those folks that are experts in that category. They will probably want photos of your setup and a timeline or deep description of incidents. That will help them give you the best answers.

If no one responds to you for a while (a number of hours to a day) go ahead and tag me (type my username with an @ symbol at the front in your post), and I will try my best to get some people on there that can give you some good advice based on their experiences. I just can't think of them right now, but I can look around if need be.

Back
Top Bottom