Injured Rooster-possible eye injury

Oncoming Storm

Crowing
Jun 3, 2019
So, today when I fed my flock, I was faced with a problem, one of my naked necks had gotten stuck in a hay catch and cut his leg. Once I wriggled him loose, I tried to find the source of the blood now smeared on my barn wall with no avail. He wouldn’t let me touch his hurt leg. He’s eating but acting tired, probably just stress, and he’s walking funky. That’s not my main concern. My main concern is Beanie. If you’ve seen my profile then you kinda know who I’m talking about. The whole time I was down there, I didn’t see him until I was about to leave. He slithered out of nowhere and ran over to the food, scarfing some down. I noticed that his eye didn’t look right and his comb was covered in something. That something turned out to be blood and his eye was nearly swollen shut, so I couldn’t see his eye that well. He was missing head feathers and had blood running down his neck. As soon as one of my other roos (not the nn) came into his view, he ran off like he’d seen the devil. I’d also noticed that this particular roo looked strange, like his color on his neck was stained. There was a small thought where I thought it was blood but I’d chalked it up to the mud since it’s been raining nonstop. This is all a little strange since not more than two days ago, another roo of mine died under mysterious circumstances in the barn. We’d chalked it up to being rammed by the goats and dying of internal injuries. Anyways....is there anything I can do for Beanie? He wouldn’t let me close to get a good look. He’s walking, running, eating and surviving but I don’t know how to help him. Usually with roos, I’m not so concerned, I’ve learned to not get too attached to roos but I’ve had this boy for almost three years and he’s my boy. If you think putting him down is the best option then please tell me. I don’t want him to suffer if there’s nothing I can do...
7F147FBA-3B1E-4B10-8126-08057D55ED1B.jpeg

(Bad phone+hurting roo=Bad photos my apologies)

Attachments

• DEBCDF5D-5A1C-42E5-88B3-167066948224.jpeg
    DEBCDF5D-5A1C-42E5-88B3-167066948224.jpeg
    361.8 KB · Views: 4
Oh no! I know you said he is skittish, but the best thing you can do is get him somewhere where you can look him over and treat him if he needs it.

So, today when I fed my flock, I was faced with a problem, one of my naked necks had gotten stuck in a hay catch and cut his leg. Once I wriggled him loose, I tried to find the source of the blood now smeared on my barn wall with no avail. He wouldn’t let me touch his hurt leg. He’s eating but acting tired, probably just stress, and he’s walking funky. That’s not my main concern. My main concern is Beanie. If you’ve seen my profile then you kinda know who I’m talking about. The whole time I was down there, I didn’t see him until I was about to leave. He slithered out of nowhere and ran over to the food, scarfing some down. I noticed that his eye didn’t look right and his comb was covered in something. That something turned out to be blood and his eye was nearly swollen shut, so I couldn’t see his eye that well. He was missing head feathers and had blood running down his neck. As soon as one of my other roos (not the nn) came into his view, he ran off like he’d seen the devil. I’d also noticed that this particular roo looked strange, like his color on his neck was stained. There was a small thought where I thought it was blood but I’d chalked it up to the mud since it’s been raining nonstop. This is all a little strange since not more than two days ago, another roo of mine died under mysterious circumstances in the barn. We’d chalked it up to being rammed by the goats and dying of internal injuries. Anyways....is there anything I can do for Beanie? He wouldn’t let me close to get a good look. He’s walking, running, eating and surviving but I don’t know how to help him. Usually with roos, I’m not so concerned, I’ve learned to not get too attached to roos but I’ve had this boy for almost three years and he’s my boy. If you think putting him down is the best option then please tell me. I don’t want him to suffer if there’s nothing I can do...View attachment 2034031
(Bad phone+hurting roo=Bad photos my apologies)
A very bad eye injury indeed, You better bring him to the vet. I think he can get pass by it, but it still better to have it checked.

You can put Terramycin into his eye if it is injured. Vetericyn or Teracyn Wound Spray is good for his wounds. Where does he sleep? At night where they are sleeping is a good time to get them off the roost to have a good look, apply medicines, and take pictures. If they have no coop, that makes is harder to care for him. Dog crates (wire) with food and water make good hospital pens.

You can put Terramycin into his eye if it is injured. Vetericyn or Teracyn Wound Spray is good for his wounds. Where does he sleep? At night where they are sleeping is a good time to get them off the roost to have a good look, apply medicines, and take pictures. If they have no coop, that makes is harder to care for him. Dog crates (wire) with food and water make good hospital pens.
He sleeps in the barn roosted up on the wall. They seem to like it up there. I’ll have to try and find a wire crate for him. Do you know where I can find those medicines?

In the US, Terramycin eye ointment and Vetericyn spray are found in feed stores. I have used plain Triple Antibiotic Ointment for eye injuries in a pinch, but the Terramycin is best. It is hard for us to see how bad his injuries are to advise you.

Back
Top Bottom