Injured silkie

AlexDenmark

Chirping
Apr 23, 2023
Hi! Yesterday when I called all the girls in I found my silkie hen in a corner of the outdoor run just crouching there. I picked her up and realized she was bloody down her front. I cleaned her up in the sink and she is missing feathers on her chest and one of her toes is gone. No idea what happened. I don’t have a rooster and everyone gets along.
I got the blood to stop and kept her in the laundry room overnight. Today she’s been sitting in a corner of the run all day and her toe is bleeding a bit again. I put syptic powder on it but I’m worried she’s probably not eating and drinking like she should.
Please don’t judge me but I recently lost my job and I really can’t afford to take her to the vet. But should I keep her inside for a few days? Or will she be more distressed on her own? I have four dogs so she will have to stay in the laundry room.

i personally would keep her inside for a few days to give her rest and a calm quiet area to do so. what is your pen setup like? What type of wire do you use, is it roofed, is the fencing trenched in, have you noticed and dig holes around the fence? and people shouldnt judge just cause you cant afford a vet. some of us can afford one but theres no vets around that handle chickens so dont worry too much about that

i personally would keep her inside for a few days to give her rest and a calm quiet area to do so. what is your pen setup like? What type of wire do you use, is it roofed, is the fencing trenched in, have you noticed and dig holes around the fence? and people shouldnt judge just cause you cant afford a vet. some of us can afford one but theres no vets around that handle chickens so dont worry too much about that
Thank you. They have an indoor coop that leads to a large fenced area with double chicken wire dug into the ground and a roof. But during the day they also have access to a second area which is just 5 foot chicken wire with no roof. Keeps them in but something may have tried to pull her out I guess? I have checked the perimeter though and nothing has tried digging in.

Thank you. They have an indoor coop that leads to a large fenced area with double chicken wire dug into the ground and a roof. But during the day they also have access to a second area which is just 5 foot chicken wire with no roof. Keeps them in but something may have tried to pull her out I guess? I have checked the perimeter though and nothing has tried digging in.
i would say the possible trying to pull her out then. the part with the no roof could have had a possible hawk and she may have put up enough of a fight to not be worth it. if at all possible i would suggest getting a roof on that part just in case and if you can set up a trail cam to see what might be attacking. you can set some traps on the safe side as well. thankfully chickens are hardy animals and she should make a comeback. you can try forcing her to eat and drink some. a little wet cat food might help and even egg yolk. im by far from being a professional but just offering what i have done in the past

i would say the possible trying to pull her out then. the part with the no roof could have had a possible hawk and she may have put up enough of a fight to not be worth it. if at all possible i would suggest getting a roof on that part just in case and if you can set up a trail cam to see what might be attacking. you can set some traps on the safe side as well. thankfully chickens are hardy animals and she should make a comeback. you can try forcing her to eat and drink some. a little wet cat food might help and even egg yolk. im by far from being a professional but just offering what i have done in the past
Thank you so much! I’m setting up my big dog crate in the laundry room with some clean water, food and treats. She’ll be on her own but it will be quiet and safe.

Thank you so much! I’m setting up my big dog crate in the laundry room with some clean water, food and treats. She’ll be on her own but it will be quiet and safe.
And I’ll put a roof on the outdoor area asap. We have a lot of different birds of prey here.

same. i live out in the woods so ive had to make mine a fort and with only 1 vet that handles chickens where i live i still cant always get them out there to help so dont feel bad about not having a vet so few handle chickens as there considered "throw away" animals. your doing an amazing job. i would suggest (if you can) eventually changing chicken wire our with welded wire. it is a bit more expensive but will last far longer that chicken wire. after over 30 years its still holding up. slightly rusted but not breakable. chicken wire rust out quick and even new it can bend easy (just a recommendation nothing more)

same. i live out in the woods so ive had to make mine a fort and with only 1 vet that handles chickens where i live i still cant always get them out there to help so dont feel bad about not having a vet so few handle chickens as there considered "throw away" animals. your doing an amazing job. i would suggest (if you can) eventually changing chicken wire our with welded wire. it is a bit more expensive but will last far longer that chicken wire. after over 30 years its still holding up. slightly rusted but not breakable. chicken wire rust out quick and even new it can bend easy (just a recommendation nothing more)
Thank you! I actually have welded wire on the bottom 3 feet of their covered run (it's about 90 square feet). But yes when I can afford to properly make it bigger I will use that! :)

She's now settled in for the night :)

Attachments

• IMG_9513.jpg
    IMG_9513.jpg
    863.5 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom