Injured Sparrow?

Definitely a young house sparrow. They are invasive so are legal to keep if you decide you want to keep him for a while until he's better.
Can you post a pic of the underneaths of it's wings, the bone area? Does anything feel different or out of place? Compare to the normal wing. It's legs look fine in the pics.

Thanks, @MGG. I tried to feel the bone area underneath the wings, but since it’s so small and I’ve never dealt with broken bird wings before, I’m not exactly sure what to feel for. I can try to get pics later, I’m not at home right now. Also, I’m not sure which is the “normal” wing. Would it be the one tucked against its side?

Thanks, @MGG. I tried to feel the bone area underneath the wings, but since it’s so small and I’ve never dealt with broken bird wings before, I’m not exactly sure what to feel for. I can try to get pics later, I’m not at home right now. Also, I’m not sure which is the “normal” wing. Would it be the one tucked against its side?
Yup, it would be the one normally tucked up. The loose one is probably because he injured the muscle or fractured a bone. I like to wet the wing down carefully so I can see better usually. It makes the downy feathers lie flatter.

Hey everyone! I went to feed the sparrow this morning and it escaped :( . I was trying to put the water dish in the cage when one of my chickens knocked it over. I tried to pick it up while I had the lid off of the fire pit but it flew out. I would have been able to catch it and bring it back again but I didn’t see where it went. Maybe it’s for the best though…

I was going to try to get a picture of its wing and maybe find a wildlife rehabilitation center or animal sanctuary nearby, but I guess I don’t really need to anymore. But I still wanted to say thanks for all of your guys’s help! I’m glad I was able to at least try to help it, and now I know what to do next time I find an injured bird :). Thanks again, everyone!

I have picked up fledgling birds in the past. If kept in a safe place for a day or two they will be able to fly and fend for themselves. Sometimes they are just too immature and just need a lttle time.

Back
Top Bottom