Injured spine or leg

JennTree

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2024
Hi there, I just joined the community because I can’t find help for my chicken. My English is not the best so please excuse.

On 31.12 last year she got scared from some fireworks our neighbors accidentally threw in our garden. She flew against a window and probably lied there for 1-2 hours.
When I found her lying on the ground, she looked dead to me because of her crooked position and her light breathing, eyes being closed.

We cared for her and the next day we visited the vet. She told us her spine got injured but with some medication (for inflammation and pain) and time she will heal.

After 1-2 weeks she seemed pretty good, walked (still a bit sideways), ate and drank regularly and we stopped the medication. After a few weeks she got worse again. We treated her with the same medication for a few days, she got better and we stopped. Now she is getting worse again.

She can’t walk or stand. She tries but her right toes won’t spread and it seems like she can’t put her weight on the food because it’s slipping sideways.
Some days she tries strolling the garden with the other chickens by moving her foot really far in the front and pulling back, so the toes spread a bit. She also always manages to get out of the coop somehow. Just not getting back inside by herself.
For me it seemes like just her foot got some issue, maybe dislocated or broken but wouldn’t the vet notice?

The only available vet doesn’t know what’s wrong and recommends giving her meds whenever it gets worse...

I know it’s hard from just telling, but does anyone have an idea what could be causing the issues?
Thinking about making some kind of splint or wheelchair but don’t want to miss the actual cause

Would love to hear your opinions!
Thank you so much

Hi @JennTree and welcome to BYC :frow

Without a video of her walking it will be hard for us to determine what might be wrong. You can upload using Y*uTube or simular platform and provide the link for us.

It looks as if her leg is dislocated or the hip broken.

Gently feel both sides of her hips for comparison to see if the femur is still connected and positioned correctly.

Such a shame that the neighbor’s carelessness has caused your poor hen to be disabled. Did the vet do any X-rays to determine if she has broken bones? I think at this point, she may be disabled from now on. She seems to want to get around and act normally, but she might have trouble getting enough food and water to keep her weight up. I would probably sit her in a chicken sling chair for periods throughout the day to eat and drink, and then let her out to rest or to roam around. Only you will be able to tell if it is time to put her down. Your vet may want to give some meloxicam for pain and inflammation. They have other drugs available, such as carbrofen and Gabapentin, used in animals for pain. Please let us know how she gets along. Here is a homemade sling with food and water bowls attached:

Back
Top Bottom