Injured toe?.....w/picture

leepsy

Songster
12 Years
Jan 30, 2007
North Florida
I posted this in Emergencies but if anyone here has any advice I would really appreciate. What does it look like to you and what can I do about it? She is my favorite hen.
sad.png

301_dsc_0472.jpg

My hen had a similiar injury a couple weeks ago. It was the strangest thing, I turned around, and she was picking at the blood spraying our of her foot!

She had completely ripped the toenail off, and only the nerve was left.... So I snatched her up, and we used quick stop to stop the bleeding, and then carefully wrapped the toe in gauze daubed with nitrofursoladone for horses, and then a layer of vetwrap that we wrapped up her leg a short ways.

we were certain she would pick at it and rip it off, so we distracted her with some of her favorite treats, and in about 10 minutes, she completely forgot it was there, and it fell of about 2-3 days later, just as I was planning to cut it off. her nail has not grown back yet, but she no longer favors the foot, and it seems to be fine.

I dont know if this is the same sort of injury, but I hope this helps.

Clean it with betadine (one part betadine to ten parts water), squirt on some neosporin, wrap in kerlix and anchor with vet wrap or duct tape (it is good you have some help - have dressed these sort of injuries by myself and it can be tricky - busted off claws and infected toes).

Change every two/three days. They heal up pretty fast.

Back
Top Bottom