Injured wing, and loss of balance

Jays HenHouse

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 10, 2012
New Hampshire
I have a chicken who looked like she had a hurt wing. Seemed broken or dislocated so I tried wraping it to her body, and then she seemed to not be able to walk or keep her balance. I clipped her wing feathers so she wouldn't drag it or stand on it. It's been a week and she doesn't seem to be any better. She seems to be eating & drinking good, but no matter how clean & dry I keep her she has a bad odor.

You should ask this on the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures thread.

Was the wing actually injured of was she just having difficulty holding it to her body? What type of smell? Like something rotting? and has she been laying and what does her poop look like? How old is the bird? Has she had any other symptoms like wheezing or sneezing? It's hard to say what's wrong with her by just what you posted.

I can't think of any disease that would cause loss of balance and a weakened wing without any other sort of symptom, I'm not much of an expert on poultry diseases though. I'm sure someone on the disease thread can be of more help. To me it kind of sounds like a predator might have gotten a hold of her and knocked her around a bit (a head injury could explain the loss of balance). Have you checked her over for wounds? The smell could be a wound that is festering.

Hope your bird gets better.

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
X2 on the above post. Good luck with your hen!

Greetings from Kansas, Jays HenHouse, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Happy you joined us! Sorry to hear about your hurt hen. I agree with ImpulsiveFarmer about posting over in the other thread - you should get more preceise advice there. Good luck to you and your hen!

Back
Top Bottom