Injuries while caring for your chickens

Geckochick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 16, 2011
So, today I can laugh at myself.

Yesterday morning, I went down to my chicken coop to let the chickens out with the dog. I made a choice not to wear my glasses because I forgot them upstairs. I thought, "Oh, I've done it hundreds of times, I can do it half blind in the early morning light..."

Well, that would have been fine if someone (not naming names.... DH!) hadn't left a rake out by the run, on the ground. In true Three Stooges style, I stepped on the rake and the handle flew up and smashed into my face. I did the whole, "Ow, ow....ow! and paced around, while the dog looked at me oddly. Then I did what anyone would do-- picked up the bucket and went on my way to get water for the birds.

And then, something started dripping down my face. I actually looked up, thinking, "What is leaking?" (I was outside, so it wasn't the smartest moment in my life). Then I realized I had blood pouring down my face.

Insert a moment of panic here. I don't like blood very much.

Made my way back to house, all the while stage whispering to DH, who I thought might hear me (he was in the shower... um, another not too swift moment). Grabbed a towel from the mud room, made my way upstairs to discover that I have a very ugly break in my forehead from where the handle hit my head. It is gross. Not to mention the blood gushing out of my nose. Today I am sporting a beautiful lump on my face, a lovely gash that is steristripped together and the beginning of what should be a very colourful bruise. And, later when I went back out to assess the chickens (kids completed the morning chores for me), the side of the run looked like a crime scene - blood all over the pavers around the run, blood on the rake handle. Nice.

So... lessons learned -- Yes, you should wear your glasses when you are outside before 6:00 am. Yes, you should put rakes away. And, yes, this can happen to anyone, not just slap stick humourists.

Does anyone have any advice on how to minimize scarring on your forehead? It is really gross. I am going to look like Frankenstein for Thanksgiving.... Thank goodness I have bangs now. And, any other good stories about chicken care related injuries?

It's a very good thing you're married. You are going to be so scared up nobody would want a woman with a fighters face.
smile.png
Seriously, I've done the same thing but it didn't bring blood. I did have a knot on my forehead that did not want to be messed with. Plus a headache I do think came from hell.

I kinda hate to say this considering your pain, but that is funny as all get out. The crime scene part is some description. What did you husband have to say about his carelessness?

Quote:
I can laugh about it now.
lol.png
DH said he knew I was ok when I started laughing (after the blood had been cleared away and I could deal with what was going on). He was quite remorseful about his carelessness, although he did try to blame the kids. He came home from work bearing new steristrips, polysporin and treats for me. And he vacuumed and took care of the barn last night. I am pretty sure he has some guilt. TBH, I really glad, if someone had to take the rake in the face, it wasn't one of the kids.

I was really surprised to see the blood. I thought I just whacked the heck out of it, and would have a lump. The blood and resulting gash shocked the socks off me.

I couldn't help but laugh. Because I've done the very same thing with the rake and have my glasses ON! You should hear the names I call myself, since I'm the one that puts the rake there in the first place. Oh, how careful I am when putting that rake somewhere now.

Quote:
Oh, yeah... I am lucky chick. I squawked and flapped all around him, too.
D.gif

Quote:
Did you break your glasses? Everyone said to me that I was lucky I didn't have my glasses on because had they broken into my eyes, etc...
But.... I thought if I had my glasses I would have seen the rake. Perhaps not. Maybe it was lack of coffee and the early morning light. Either way, I am all set for Halloween with the face of Frankenstein's monster. Pretty.

Oh, gosh that's awful. Neosporin ointment. Keep a good layer of it on there. Will help kill germs and bacteria and keep the skin soft and hydrated and will help speed up the healing process. I know it's goopy but that's how they do it in the hospitals. Put a cover of it if you can't stand it. But keep a good coating of the ointment on it.

Back
Top Bottom