Injury or Bumblefoot?

danielleashlee

In the Brooder
May 23, 2019
New duck owner here, and noticed something is wrong with her foot. She still walks around, but at times lifts up her foot and it is clearly swollen. Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_2935.jpeg
    IMG_2935.jpeg
    513.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2938.jpeg
    IMG_2938.jpeg
    316.7 KB · Views: 9
Need pics of the underside of the foot. Bumblefoot may show swelling on the top or sides of the feet/toes, but the scab or early redness is almost always on the bottom.

Edit: If it's caught early, keeping the duck isolated so she can't walk too much, and in clean dry bedding for a week or so could be sufficient to clear it up, but if a scab is formed a more significant treatment approach is probably necessary.

Need pics of the underside of the foot. Bumblefoot may show swelling on the top or sides of the feet/toes, but the scab or early redness is almost always on the bottom.

Edit: If it's caught early, keeping the duck isolated so she can't walk too much, and in clean dry bedding for a week or so could be sufficient to clear it up, but if a scab is formed a more significant treatment approach is probably necessary.

Attachments

• IMG_2938.jpeg
    IMG_2938.jpeg
    316.7 KB · Views: 8
She is so far, planning to move her outside in a couple weeks as she's only about 6 weeks old.
My avian veterinarian told me that keeping ducks on hard surfaces, like wood, can cause foot problems, like bumbles. Maybe you could consider putting some towels down in areas she walks/stands until you move her outside onto more natural grassy surfaces.

My avian veterinarian told me that keeping ducks on hard surfaces, like wood, can cause foot problems, like bumbles. Maybe you could consider putting some towels down in areas she walks/stands until you move her outside onto more natural grass surfaces.
Really good to know, I'll definitely do that!

That is bumblefoot, but it's already scabbed over. Get her on soft bedding, limiting her movement (for at least a few days if possible). If you can find silver sulfadiazine cream (sold at TSC and other farm supply stores), put it on the toe and wrap the foot with vetwrap. You've caught it early! There is a chance it can clear up on its own, but if you want to be extra certain it goes away, antibiotics is the way to go. Baytril 2.5% https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-2-5 is available as an orally injected antibiotic and is affective for gram-positive infections, which is what bumblefoot is (a staph infection.) You can also add Epson salt bath soaks to the protocol, but this has not been effective for me personally. The sooner you start treatment, the better! I am telling you from experience!

Back
Top Bottom