Injury-pecking order

City Farmer Jim

Songster
Mar 18, 2020
South Texas close to Corpus Christi
I'm never sure where to post what BUT I'm going to start here.
We have what was once a #7 in the pecking order but noticed that she has what appears to be a blind eye. She seems to possibly see a blurred image or slight sight in one eye. What happens to her if the rest of the flock figures it out...will the boot her out of the flock so to speak by continually assaulting her ? What have you done if you have this issue?

I'm never sure where to post what BUT I'm going to start here.
We have what was once a #7 in the pecking order but noticed that she has what appears to be a blind eye. She seems to possibly see a blurred image or slight sight in one eye. What happens to her if the rest of the flock figures it out...will the boot her out of the flock so to speak by continually assaulting her ? What have you done if you have this issue?
It depends on how she handles the issue.

If she is obviously debilitated, then yes, the rest of the flock might keep trying to kill her.

If she moves around just fine, it might not be a problem.

Oh she gets around very well..just we haven't had this issue yet and kinda wanted to be prepared for it if possible. She is the smallest hen and had "duck foot/feet at birth. We did the corrective skin clip and she has thrived. She is a good little girl and my second favorite.

Oh she gets around very well..just we haven't had this issue yet and kinda wanted to be prepared for it if possible. She is the smallest hen and had "duck foot/feet at birth. We did the corrective skin clip and she has thrived. She is a good little girl and my second favorite.
If she gets around well, the rest of the flock might not notice that she is different.

Sometimes people are trying to be nice, and think they should separate her. Unless she is being killed, don't pull her. If she is active and getting along fine, and is part of the flock that is good. But if you separate her, for any reason, she may be very difficult to get back into the group.

I tend to believe separating birds causes more problems than it solves, but sometimes you have too. In this situation, trying to get her back into the flock, I would not expect it to go well.

Im not a chicken optometrist but the cornea is the same color as the pupil almost black and we can get way closer to her on the bad eye side that the other. I agree with the separation point ..we have 2 hens that go broody from time to time and separating them is a hit or miss with them. We have resigned ourselves to let them go they can get over it on their own. We have a 6 seater nest box 3 up and 3 down that has worked pretty well so far. The non broody can separate the the top 3 boxes and lay all the want and the broody stay in the bottom 3. We tried "chicken jail" with mixed results.

Back
Top Bottom