Injury to wing? Or cocci? 12 week old Easter egger

Chickentings

Chirping
Apr 19, 2023
Hey all, I’m back with another ask for help. My Easter egger was fine the other day, today I noticed she was slower moving and sleeping while she stands. Reminds me of when she had cocci but her poo looks fine other than being kind of watery more than usual. I am attaching photos of how her right wing stays kind of spread down more than her left side. When I pick her up she doesn’t cry in pain but it’s odd. Does she have a vitamin deficiency? Is this also a sign of cocci? Is she injured? Pics of poo as well. She has had some food scraps like salad mix, frozen carrots and peas and watermelon taggin you in @Wyorp Rock as you tend to always great solutions or answers for my chicks ailments! I’ve also noticed some of my other chicks acting off too. Can’t quite put my finger on it but they’re different. Normal poops for them that are not watery like this one.

Attachments

• IMG_3924.jpeg
    IMG_3924.jpeg
    334.5 KB · Views: 697
  • IMG_3929.jpeg
    IMG_3929.jpeg
    354.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3927.jpeg
    IMG_3927.jpeg
    507 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3918.jpeg
    IMG_3918.jpeg
    529.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3911.jpeg
    IMG_3911.jpeg
    598.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3912.jpeg
    IMG_3912.jpeg
    729 KB · Views: 7
What is she eating?

Can you check the wing again for any bruising (green color) of the skin?

How long ago did you treat for Coccidiosis?
I’ll check again in just a sec . But when I did inspect it looks like a normal color of skin and wing. No mites or lice or lice eggs. I do a weekly chicken check of vents, under neck feathers and under each wing and saw nothing. Coccidiosis was treated April 27. Did not treat again after that. She is eating regular chick crumbles, has option of chick grit, and regular water

There's a lot of fibrous material in the poop. She only eats chick starter? Is it a loose grain feed or commercial crumbles?

If possible, get a fecal float to see if Coccidiosis and/or worms are part of the problem.

There's a lot of fibrous material in the poop. She only eats chick starter? Is it a loose grain feed or commercial crumbles?

If possible, get a fecal float to see if Coccidiosis and/or worms are part of the problem.
All the chicks had treats/food scraps today (salad mix, frozen peas and carrots, watermelon). I’m attaching photos of under each wing. Including the one that seems more droopy. I’m not sure if I can afford another fecal test. I had one done last week and I took some from most of all my birds with zero worm or parasite detected (may 22). It’s $50 each time + the actual vet visit ($50). I notice her neck seems to lean more to one side also. She does try to flap her wings when I pick her up. She hasn’t pooped much today except for the photos I’ve sent.

Attachments

• IMG_3935.jpeg
    IMG_3935.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3932.jpeg
    IMG_3932.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3934.jpeg
    IMG_3934.jpeg
    358.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3933.jpeg
    IMG_3933.jpeg
    286.4 KB · Views: 5

And yes, starter crumble for their regular food source that is always available + chick grit

I’ve tossed around different ideas of what may be wrong with her but today, I found her asleep with her head upside down. I thought she was dead cause with noises and taps she didn’t move so I picked her up and she started fluttering around. She has bad balance, not interested in drinking but will eat some (crumbles). If she’s standing too long to eat, she will sit down and eat. Still lethargic, and poop had some what I think is intestinal shedding. Most of her poops have been normal solid. I think she was heat stressed yesterday for the watery poos (it’s almost 90 degrees daily) She is still isolated and I’ve given her some poultry cell orally 3cc today. I have not caught her sleeping with her neck/head upside down again since. But I do worry if that overnight when we sleep, that I may find her like that again or worse.

Attachments

• IMG_4022.jpeg
    IMG_4022.jpeg
    458.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4029.jpeg
    IMG_4029.jpeg
    741.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4026.jpeg
    IMG_4026.jpeg
    475.2 KB · Views: 5
The neck upside down is a neurological symptom.
Poultry Cell is good, but when you can, get some Vitamin E (400IU) and B-Complex. Give her 1 Vitamin E cap daily along with 1/4 tablet B-Complex. Give her a little egg to help with the uptake of E.

Is her crop emptying overnight? I'd re-check that.

I'd focus on her eating chick starter and staying hydrated. Cut out all the other things. Do make grit available free choice.

The neck upside down is a neurological symptom.
Poultry Cell is good, but when you can, get some Vitamin E (400IU) and B-Complex. Give her 1 Vitamin E cap daily along with 1/4 tablet B-Complex. Give her a little egg to help with the uptake of E.

Is her crop emptying overnight? I'd re-check that.

I'd focus on her eating chick starter and staying hydrated. Cut out all the other things. Do make grit available free choice.
Got it! Thank you. I’m going to the grocery tomorrow to get those vitamins. What about selenium? Should I give her that too? There’s so many b vitmains at the grocery what milligram tablet should I give? Her crop is empty. I worried it was impacted crop by her in a posture making her look like she has no neck, but that crop is super empty. She is the smallest of the bunch and my bigger girls are kind of mean to her and three other pullets. The other pullets are fine though. I make sure that her and the other three bullied girls get meal times for their crumbles and water separate from the bigger girls. She eats the chick starter thankfully on her own. Grit is also always available. She will stay isolated until I see she regains strength.

Back
Top Bottom