injury

dtbdca

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 6, 2013
One of my chickens was injured by my rooster on the back of the neck and has a tear about 2 inches long that has some puss. Does anyone know how to treat it?
idunno.gif
We have her separated from the others and we have been washing it with peroxide about 3 times per day. She doesn't seem to be too distressed and she's still laying. Can we still eat her eggs?

You can still eat the eggs.

You can use some and mycitracin or similar type ointment on the wound no pain killler added. I would only peroxide it from now on if it gets real dirty.. on fresh wounds i will keep some superglue to repair damages, after a good cleaning.

Keep her separated until it closes up and starts to mend.. You can also get some blukote or similar blue or purple wound coating..

They Heal pretty fast from some bad wounds.

Yes, you can eat her eggs. I would stop washing it with peroxide, as too much of that can sometimes irritate the skin. Instead, I would put some antibiotic ointment (make sure it doesn't contain any "caine" ingredients, as those are bad for chickens) on the wound. Aside from that, I don't think you need to do much more for the wound. Just watch for infection, and she should be fine.

Also, as Mehrj10 mentioned, I would keep her separated until the wound closes up; then she can go back with the flock. When she goes back with the flock, though, if possible, I would put some Blue-Kote on her wound to discourage the other birds from pecking at the wound.

Back
Top Bottom