Input needed. How to know if being a vet is the right choice for you.

sunny & the 5 egg layers

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
I am interested in going to school and have some sort of career that has to do with animals. I was thinking a vet and work with livestock animals (rather then just cats, dogs). I was thinking I would like to stay away from the large animals such as cows and horses. I have nothing against them, I just believe they are too big for a little person like me to handle. This is a choice I have made concerning my own safety.

I wouldn't have a problem administering vaccines to animals
I wouldn't have a problem with taking x-rays
I wouldn't have a problem with talking to the owners as I can hold a conversation pretty well.
I am not sure about the surgery part however.
Though I believe I would be fine with neutering and dehorning.

I understand this job is not for the most squeamish, and euthanizing would probably be tough. Though I believe I could do it, when it came down to it. But vets save tons more animals then they euthanize. Otherwise it wouldn't be worth being a vet.

What I want to know is what does being a vet include? If not a vet, what other jobs have to do with livestock?
How about a vet tech?

Please be kind and polite as possible, even if I sound clueless, we all start somewhere.
lol.png

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Mostly due to your aversion to surgeries, I'd suggest vet. tech. I was considering veterinary school about two years ago, only to discover none of the colleges close by offered vet. programs. I'm still thinking about the vet. tech. thing...
Good luck! It's exciting thinking about a new career path
smile.png

I imagine being a vet can be VERY heartbreaking..
You see baldly injured animals, suffering, them crying out in pain..
you will also see sick animals that need care but the owners cant afford it. So you KNOW the animal will go home to suffer...(those people may be good people, but they just don't have the money to save their loved pet)
You will see abused, neglected, maybe starved pets with scars from beatings....you cant savethem all, the laws will protect many of those owners...
I couldn't do it for those reasons..
The blood,surgery wouldn't bother me..its all the other stuff that would take a toll on me..

Last edited:
Quote:
I imagine being a vet can be VERY heartbreaking..
You see baldly injured animals, suffering, them crying out in pain..
you will also see sick animals that need care but the owners cant afford it. So you KNOW the animal will go home to suffer...(those people may be good people, but they just don't have the money to save their loved pet)
You will see abused, neglected, maybe starved pets with scars from beatings....you cant savethem all, the laws will protect many of those owners...
I couldn't do it for those reasons..
The blood,surgery wouldn't bother me..its all the other stuff that would take a toll on me..
I understand what you mean, Red. And that would be a very sad thing to see. But also think about how great it can be too. After you save them. As you said you cannot save them all. But you can certainly try to save some. And that little bit that you do save is worth it to me. I wouldn't be in it all for the money. I mean yes, it is a job but I am not looking to be a vet just for the purpose of money. I want to help animals, and I believe this would be a good way to do so. Thank you very much for your input.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, i'm sure you save MANY more than you lose...
and getting to meet all kinds of different animals every day....and seeing a sick animal get better because YOU helped it.. I would LOVE that part of the job ..:love

Quote:
Mostly due to your aversion to surgeries, I'd suggest vet. tech. I was considering veterinary school about two years ago, only to discover none of the colleges close by offered vet. programs. I'm still thinking about the vet. tech. thing...
Good luck! It's exciting thinking about a new career path
smile.png
The only thing that holds me back from being a vet, is the surgery part. I mean what type of surgeries would a vet have to do on livestock really? Thank you very much for your input as well. I wish you luck in your search of becoming a vet tech.

In order to get into the local community college's vet tech/vet assistant program where I live, you need to volunteer at a veterinary office or hospital (or equivalent) before you can get into the program. My advice would be to find a vet in your area that specializes in the kind of veterinary medicine you are interested in, and talk to the vet. He or she can give you the answers you need - after all, I'm sure they were once right where you are. :) It is something I once was very interested in, and am reconsidering again.

Good luck to you!

Last edited:
You can have a job involving animals and you don't have to be a vet. You can look into animal behavior or therapy, zookeeper, researcher, animal training (4H, nature centers, wildlife rehab centers), fisheries & wildlife sciences, ecologist, biologist, forest or park ranger, educator, conservation officer...the list is long!

One thing to consider is how much pressure you can take concerning angry animal owners who blame you and yell at you whether you made an honest mistake or in the case of they are too ignorant to see they harmed their own animal and blame you for it.

BusyBlonde gave some excellent advice. In addition, I would suggest actually working for such a veterinarian. I tried this while in high school and while in college enrolled in a pre vet/an hus program. Although I loved the work, I soon discovered that I had serious problems with obviously neglectful owners. The animal end I could handle. The owners constituted a deal breaker. Neglect, intentional or not, is still neglect.

Back
Top Bottom