Input on shipped eggs

oldchickenman

Songster
11 Years
Oct 2, 2008
Parsonsburg Md.
seems i do good with my eggs my chcikens lay but shipped eggs i dont do so well with. when i get the eggs i let them sit 12 hours befor i put them in the ready incubator. whats everybody elses experence with shiped eggs?

varies from very good to very bad. Luck of the draw, nothing you can do to change that. Probably two decent (40% or more) hatches for every one poor hatch and zero hatch.

i got 2 turkey eggs and both hatched 3 days ago and they are running around fine, got 6 chicken eggs the other day and 3 had to be thrown out 2 had broken air sacks and one was cracked

I have shipped many,many,eggs from all over the country.Never recieved any broken ones.Fertility rate is very poor.I don't bother with shipped eggs anymore.Nothing beats a good ole' broody hen.If you want to hatch eggs,try to get them local.I wouldn't waste another dime of shipped eggs.Take care.

I've had everything from 0 out of 18 to 11 out of 13. It's a crap shoot each and everytime. It has been the only way for me to get some of the breeds and quality that I wanted tho so I was willing to do it.

Shipped eggs are hit and miss. It really depends on how kind the post office workers are to your package containing the eggs. I used to work in a post office years ago and I can tell you some of the workers could not care less if it said fragile or not they would still hurl a box 15 feet into a bin to save themselves a few steps. So in my opinion you're lucky if you get at least a 50% hatch rate on shipped eggs. My first two hatches this summer I got a 30% hatch on shipped eggs but it looks like my current hatch is going to do better. After candeling yesterday it looks like I might actually get a 70% hatch this time.

Last edited:
I had to throw out most of the eggs I had shipped to me. Only eggs from one breeder hatched and 6 more are due this sunday.

I live in San Diego County Califonia and I don't think there is many breeders out here so I really don't have a choice if I want get different breeds of chickens and I don't really want or need 25 day olds from a hatchery - that's just too many!

I just ordered more on e-bay and am crossing my fingers!!

I've only did it once...hatching right now. I didn't expect much success but planned on several and that's all I really needed. I did it more out of the need to say...see those birds...had the eggs shipped in from NC and hatched them out in the mudroom. I wouldn't do it if I were expecting high hatches. It was a cool experience and every time we see our new Buff Orpingtons out the window well think of the GreenFamilyFarms here on BYC. Thanks to Kandace we now have some adorable golden puffs.

As long as your willing to risk what you spend it's worth it. I spent some time in a Brown Van and packing is key. THose trucks leave out full to the top and are sorted and resorted and staged and slid. THe process is a marvel to watch. USPS must be really similar.

Buyer Beware and Your Mileage May Very hold quite true to shipped eggs.

All that said I would do it again.
jumpy.gif

keeping fingers crossed
fl.gif

I ordered 6 eggs from texas, shipped yesterday...due on tues.
Already called my post office to warn them ect.
After reading this, I'm a bit worried that I might lose all because of time and distance.
hit.gif

Perhaps its better to order a dozen 'live' chicks in the future...
jumpy.gif

I just can't imagine how horrible a trip that would be for them...
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom