Input please? Pic Heavy

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KDailey, Oct 6, 2011.

1. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    I'm hoping to get some input on my bantam cochins. These are pet quality but I would like to know exactly what makes them pet quality aside from off colors. I think they are beautiful and love them very much. I would just like to learn about what I have and what kind of birds to look for to improve on their type.

I know these are PET QUALITY, I just want an evaluation of what is good and/or bad about each one excluding color. They're around 3-4 months old. The calico colored one and the last splash are cockeralls. The calico looking cockeral had his tail chewed on but it's growing back

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    There's a lot of different faults on each bird, my best thing to say, really, is that a Cochin should look more like your splash females there. Those are some pretty girls. Many of the other birds have too small of tails, too straight/smooth of toplines (back and on into the tail) too little leg feathering or too long of legs.

The main faults I see are the back on into the tail though. Cochins should be very round in appearance, very fluffy, - But some of those have a back more like an American breed. Smooth, slightly concave or sweeping up to the tail, or just simply straight-up horizontal from shoulders to tail.

Not a Cochin expert though, so, I might be wrong.

3. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Thank you! I was thinking they need a little more roundness to them in the tail area. These guys are from a project for porcelain except for the barred and splashes. I really like the smaller, lighter colored splash pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by