Insect pest problem! Help!

DragonClaw01

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 25, 2013
I've got mites or fleas or some insect attacking my birds.

One silky was COVERED in them.

What are they and what do they do?

I have no idea of the significance of the image you posted...

If you feel that you have mites/lice affecting the health of your flock you need to treat the chickens with permethrin dust and treat the coop and remove all bedding and use the permethrin liquid to treat all areas they frequent;;;bedding should be burned or disposed of safely away from your flock...Straw harbours mites so it is advisable to use hay or another type of material for nesting boxes...

Hope that helps!

@suzie

That picture has the bug on ot. It's small, lile a flat grain of rice with little legs. It has a head and body.

Straw? That's what I used mainly ..... geez.

Didn't know that.

I'll scoop it out and burn it and treat the pen.

Looks like lice to me...tho the pic isn't very clear...google images of chicken lice and mites to confirm ID.

Is the silkie a new bird to your flock?
How many birds do you have and how long have you had them?
I'd inspect every bird and dust them.

Treat all your birds with permethrin, or ivermectin, and clean out and use permethrin in the coop. Straw, hay, chips, or anything can harbor some bugs at times, but when you have a real infestation cleaning it all out will be best. If you haven't introduced any new birds yourself, they came from the wild birds that also like your feeders. It happens, and you just have to get them treated before somebody dies. Mary

Yes, they look like chicken lice.

I don't have any permethrin, but sonce Christmas is over, will be going to the store to get some. I heard the oral is also a de wormer and the spray is for the coop?

These seem to be in our grow out pen mostly.

I haven't gotten any new birds. Not in awhile with winter.

I'm assuming they can live on more than just chickens?

I have geese, ducks, guineas, turkeys, and peafowl and a Red Tailed Hawk.

All in all, I've got close to 80 birds.

Back
Top Bottom