#[email protected]%^#$! (insert swear word)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WadeMD, Jul 2, 2010.

1. WadeMD

WadeMD Songster

Dec 16, 2009
    near Frederick, MD
    My ducks (5 runner, 2 swedish, 1 cayuga) are 1 week shy of being 5 months of age. No eggs yet, although I take a sec to peek into their hut in the mornings to be sure. This morning, while I was taking my sweet time, they all hopped out and started splashing in the pond like they always do - and then I realized that one of the black runners was mounted on the F&W and they were doing the ducky thing (eg, trying to drown her for a few with tails slashed over to the side).

#@%@#%@% - so now I have what appears to be a black runner drake in my flock of laying birds. There is no sign of drake feathers and no inclination that this duck was different than the others until now.

I have also noticed another odd behavior.. my largest duck, one of the Black Swedish, is always being dominated by one of the black runners (not sure which one, hard to tell them apart) - neck is over the swedish's back, making staccato noises. Never anything more drastic, but it keeps the swedish in the background at feeding times.

Question: Is that a behavior that one male shows to another at the bottom of the pecking order? I would hate to have more than 1 male (I don't want any!) that I have to re-home.

I will try to film them sometime soon.

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    The duck on top isn't necessarily a drake. Females will mount females to show dominance.

3. WadeMD

WadeMD Songster

Dec 16, 2009
    near Frederick, MD
    I certainly hope that is the case. It wouldn't surprise me, except that it looked like the real deal in the pond (not that I know what ducks doing it really looks like).

What age do you typically see the drake feathers becoming obvious?

4. WadeMD

WadeMD Songster

Dec 16, 2009
    near Frederick, MD
    !!!

The black runner was on my Cayuga just now... the evidence is stacking against it. Unless "she's" feeling really frisky and dominating this morning (it is really nice and cool out there)...

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Well, after the top duck gets off the bottom duck, do you see anything dangling between the legs of the top duck? Also how does that top duck SOUND? Is it quacking loudly or making a soft raspy "reep reep" sound?

6. WadeMD

WadeMD Songster

Dec 16, 2009
    near Frederick, MD
    Unfortunately, both times it has been in the pond and I cannot see whats going on underwater post-stacking. The duck doesn't actually make much of a noise aside from a fast "clicking" sound - not a raspy hissing or quack, just a staccato noise. That noise seems to increase when its got its head over the other duck's backs at any time or when it is greeting me. I just don't have anything to compare it to - if I can get it on video, that might help.

7. toadbriar

toadbriar Songster

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    Does it have curly drake feathers?

8. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    well I wonder why you dont want any drakes? one or even 2 in 6 is not a bad ratio and they are good about being look outs and protectig the ladies. Its not like roosters where they crow at all hours. Why would you rehome the boys?

9. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Absolutely!! I only wish roos were as silent as drakes! In my town, they outlawed drakes, when it's the ducks that are loud!! Idiots.

10. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    I had a friend that wanted me to inubate some eggs for. so I went over to get the eggs but she only had two ducks . They were both crested Rouans and both hens at that. they said the one has been mating but I knew better. LOL I inubated their eggs but not one was fertlie so I guess the females do that LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by