Inside a screen room to outside tractor?

sfgwife

Crowing
May 19, 2017
North Cakalaki
Our girls are seven weeks old now. They have been in our screen room with brooder in it since we got them at a day old. The girls go out almost every day in a pen for the last nearly three weeks. A little more time each day until the last week amd a half where they have been goin out early mornin amd we bring em in close to dusk. Today we moved them to the now empty chicken tractor. It is warm enough for them to be outside outside (the low is sposed be 67 tonight but they haven't had heat in the brooder in weeks) Does anyone keep them out later and later progressively? Or just go on and let them stay in the tractor all at once kinda thing? They are fussin (we are sittin in the carport but they cannot see us) a LOT right now. So i am unsure to leave them a bit longer and see if they will get on the roosts amd settle down or go on and take them in now. They have all been roostin at night for a lil over a week now inside in the brooder.

One day mine go out, and they don't come back to the brooder. There's always lots of complaining and fearful chirping until it gets dark. The first night is the hardest, on both them and us keepers.

One day mine go out, and they don't come back to the brooder. There's always lots of complaining and fearful chirping until it gets dark. The first night is the hardest, on both them and us keepers.

Haha yes these silly hUmans... i know i will be up several times to look on them tonight. :/. It is mostly dark now and they are startin to quiet down. Thank goodness. Thanks for givin me the boost i needed to let them fuss a bit before i said ok done now lets go back inside. Lol! Funny thing... when our children were small i don't remember it bein this stinkin hard to let them fuss a bit. This is our first chicken experience...

Their little peeps are heartbreaking. It is hard to ignore them. They will be okay, you will be worried all night.

Ahhh yes! But i went round the corner and peeked at them... everyone is on the roosts now and i even heard happy sleepy songs comin from a few. So i feel better now. :wee:ya

Well, this is all good to know. The little ones have only seen the inside of their brooder, so moving to the web wide world will be frightening. Hadn't even considered that far into the future. The excitement builds.

Ours are 1 week old tomorrow. Already I'm worried the brooder is too short. The little ones jump halfway up the side as it is. Half roost on the branches and half snuggle into the floor. Weird seeing the "spread chicken" on the floor. Neck out, wings out - flattened.

Cheers and hope you sleep well!

Back
Top Bottom