Inside quail…

kurby22

Crossing the Road
Apr 12, 2021
Sacramento Area, California
How lonely would a quail be if left inside in a cage by herself? I have the best little girl and she hurt her leg somehow and gets around fine out in general population …or so I thought. Tonight I checked on her a bit closer than usual and discovered her leg she doesn’t use had giant poop balls on every big toe 😩 I feel so awful I only just now noticed!! So I brought her inside and soaked the foot for over 45 mins and slowly chipped away at the balls. I ended up taking off two toe nails but she sat still the whole time while I chipped away and she got super wet. So now I’m waiting for her to dry enough she won’t die from the cold overnight and she’s just sitting with me. I am wondering if she’s better off inside where poop balls won’t get missed? She let me soak her, rip out her toe nails, blow dry her with my hair dryer, and barely made a peep about it. She is amazing! She also often will lay two eggs in a day. She’s just a chill little girl and I feel bad she has limitations that cause her unhappiness! I know many of you would just cull her and move on, but I just can’t do that. She’s just a really sweet soul…anyway, thoughts on how bad of an idea this would be?

Attachments

• C7C26C6F-1996-4ECF-A108-C5AC660EB389.jpeg
    C7C26C6F-1996-4ECF-A108-C5AC660EB389.jpeg
    488.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 7FD6EDBB-BA51-4847-BD01-02002551E25C.jpeg
    7FD6EDBB-BA51-4847-BD01-02002551E25C.jpeg
    481.2 KB · Views: 11
How lonely would a quail be if left inside in a cage by herself? I have the best little girl and she hurt her leg somehow and gets around fine out in general population …or so I thought. Tonight I checked on her a bit closer than usual and discovered her leg she doesn’t use had giant poop balls on every big toe 😩 I feel so awful I only just now noticed!! So I brought her inside and soaked the foot for over 45 mins and slowly chipped away at the balls. I ended up taking off two toe nails but she sat still the whole time while I chipped away and she got super wet. So now I’m waiting for her to dry enough she won’t die from the cold overnight and she’s just sitting with me. I am wondering if she’s better off inside where poop balls won’t get missed? She let me soak her, rip out her toe nails, blow dry her with my hair dryer, and barely made a peep about it. She is amazing! She also often will lay two eggs in a day. She’s just a chill little girl and I feel bad she has limitations that cause her unhappiness! I know many of you would just cull her and move on, but I just can’t do that. She’s just a really sweet soul…anyway, thoughts on how bad of an idea this would be?
My quails all was hate being on their own, they scream for ages for friends, could you take 2 females in with her so she has friends? I understand not being able to cull I have 3 quails now that are just pets, as long as they are not suffering you don’t need to cull. For getting ride of muck balls on their feet, I put them in a tub (with a mesh lid so they can’t fly out) then put very little water in it just enough to make one or two small puddles then leave them for a while, when I tried it the muck balls just dropped off, it might take a while but it is better then accidentally ripping/breaking toe nails

U can watch this channel called a chick called Albert I’m a really big fan of.He addresses how to properly take off dirt mites or poop balls in one of his video.u can learn a lot from him

I would bring in a friend or 2, there’s a good chance you’ll eventually have other special needs birds over time, and you can swap those in when they come about. I keep my original double silver inside, after I made the outside blind bird cage, and they all adjusted fine, I considered moving him out as well, but hubby and I decided it wasn’t fair to make a bird, who lived his whole life inside and climate controlled, move outside in his twilight time. So I kept him in with a couple of his daughters, then I had an older bird lose sight in one eye, so I moved her in and one of the others out. They do well just the 3 of them living inside, and if you get the right food, I find the poop is not smelly and I’ll just toss some more chips in every couple days, and after a week and a half or so I change it out, they aren’t much work at all. Plus everyone loves to watch my blind boy Snowflake tap tap tapping around like the 3 blind mice. Snowflake also loves to brood chicks, and their cage is a great place to toss an injured bird who need some temporary recovery time.

I have several that live alone (separate cage but they can still hear the others. Some because they're male, and one for a while because she would just kill any other females I put in with her.

Are her toes bleeding or are they just losing the toenails

Gorgeous, I say keep inside, u can always bring a male around if she needs or wants it or every so often abother hen that's nice to her, and long as u give them company, or u can just keep hen with her all the time in the cage , lots of options, good luck

Back
Top Bottom