Inside the Coop

therifleman

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 22, 2008
western nc
Howdy folks,
Chicken coop is nearly done. Most of the stuff on the outside is complete. Just a couple of small items and paint. On to the inside.
Hopefully this week I will get far enough along to think of nests and roosts.

Roughly 20 years ago while in my 20's I kept chickens. Or maybe tortuered them would be more accurate. These birds are much tougher than one would imagine. Figured this time I would ask a few questions.

How far do you set your rooosts of the wall?
What are the pros and cons of round versus flat roosts of 2x4s?

Any one using 5 gallon buckets for nests? Seems these would be perfect.
Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Most set their roosts 12 inches off the back wall. Mine are only 10, and work fine for me.

If a round roost had a thick enough diameter, I'm sure it would work fine, but I prefer a 2x4 (or even a 2x3) laid flat. This way, in cold weather, the birds feathers will completely cover the toes when the bird is roosting.

I've seen folks use everything from covered cat litter pans to 5 gallon buckets for nests. I don't think chickens are too picky about their nest boxes
wink.png

if you give the chickens the option, one flat roost and one round one, will they pick the flat one in the winter time? I was thinking I'd give them options and see which ones they like.

My chickens like the natural roosts better (even though I still have a 2x4 roost in the coop- and its higher-they never use it). We get some pretty bad wind storms here, and there are always limbs lying around. I picked nice, straight, thick limbs. They're big enough that the birds feet still sit on top of them, not wrap around.

Quote:
if you give the chickens the option, one flat roost and one round one, will they pick the flat one in the winter time? I was thinking I'd give them options and see which ones they like.

I'm sure that'd be fine, giving them the choice...
But my first thought was that chickens don't always make the best choices (like we assume they would) - like some birds that choose to roost outdoors in severe weather (rather than go inside the coop) and end up with frostbite or end up being eaten by predators. Chicken decision making abilities aren't always based on logic and safety...lol.
tongue.png

We have some chickens who fight over nest boxes and one who will let it drop where ever she happens to be. You just never know what they're going to like.
About the roosting tho...in all the different coops I've looked at and taking into account the things we've tried...I think they like natural round items best. Ours would use the 2x4 until they discovered something round and now forget it.
Good luck!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom