Inside the duckhouse - Is this ok??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DrChickenKev, Nov 15, 2011.

1. DrChickenKev

DrChickenKev Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2011
    Hi again,

I've uploaded a couple of pics inside the duckhouse for you all to see and hopefully offer some feedback on.

I'm trying to use the deep litter method and was about to add a few more shavings to the bedding.

However, I saw these little white specks that look like snow flakes but we have no snow and they dont melt....??????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone, any ideas what it is? Good, bad?? Time to panic????

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I see these around the areas my chickens spend time too. I think they are something to do with the shaft of the feathers peeling off a little - perhaps a form of poultry dandruff? My birds appear otherwise healthy so I haven't worried too much about it.

3. DrChickenKev

Oct 5, 2011
    Quote:Thats good news, I can just cover with more bedding then

4. UrbanFarmerGreg

UrbanFarmerGreg Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    yeah it kind of looks like when a bird is molting and the shafts of the feathers lose the outer casing.... I guess it could be like duck dandruff... if it is in there poop its probably ingested when they preen themselves and if its on everything it could just be from them cleaning and flapping a lot

5. Kathy1

Kathy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it is the outer casing from the feathers, check and see if there is any new feather growth. If so you might see this same stuff around the feathers.

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I would use a pitchfork to stir and fluff up the litter that's in there and then add more. The ducks will stomp it down. I believe I stir mine about every 3-6 months.

7. Zoomom

Zoomom Certified Cackleberry Consumer

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    I think Kathy1 is right. I used to help my Quaker parrot molt by getting the shafts off of new feather growth, and it looked like dandruff or snow. (She enjoyed it as she didn't have a mate to do her head.)

8. DrChickenKev

Oct 5, 2011
    Thanks all, thats a relief too... They are all moulting just now, ducks, chickens, kids, er.....

Anyway, the litter has been in there about 2 months I think, not heard about stirring it up before, maybe give it a go...

Just gotta get the rats out the chicken house now.... Grr....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by