Inspection Help - Experienced Breeders please - need ideas

U_Stormcrow

Crossing the Road
Jun 7, 2020
North FL Panhandle Region / Wiregrass
I have a small (by breeding standards) flock, and am NPIP certified. Florida requires twice annual inspection, and I thought I had another month+, I have three weeks. Because my flock size is so small, they are going to want to individually inspect every breeding age bird. SO I need a way to contain about thirty+ birds in a way I can let them out individually and gain/keep control of that bird, while preventing the others from either escaping, or re-entering. Optimally, I need to be able to walk around in there, as I plan to use food to get the birds to crowd in, then sort out the too young before inspection.

Last time was somewhat chaotic, only involved about twenty birds, and the inspector wasn't very pleased. Its aready a long drive for him, I'd like to maintain good relations, as we will be doing this for many years.

Anyone having experience building a "chicken chute"? Tips or tricks???

New idea.

I do have a small (13.5' x 4') grow out pen in my barn, with a hinged/flap door leading out. Obviously, too small to keep that many birds overnight, but if I raise the walls on it (only 4' currently, most of my birds can top that if motivated), I'll bet that's enough space to contain them for inspection purposes.

I'll let you know how it works out. Unless there's reason I shouldn't???

New idea.

I do have a small (13.5' x 4') grow out pen in my barn, with a hinged/flap door leading out. Obviously, too small to keep that many birds overnight, but if I raise the walls on it (only 4' currently, most of my birds can top that if motivated), I'll bet that's enough space to contain them for inspection purposes.

I'll let you know how it works out. Unless there's reason I shouldn't???
Please do! Sorry I can’t be helpful but I am curious!

I have several large cages. I put the birds in the cages and as the testing agent tests the birds I put them back into their coop. Each cage is from a different coop so I don't get them mixed up. I also have leg bands so I know where they belong. This way it's easy to grab the birds to be tested. Originally I shut them in their coops and as we tested the birds I put them in their pens but the cages work out better. I have them all ready for when the testing agent gets here. It goes rather quickly and I think she appreciates it as most of the time they have to chase down the birds to be tested. Good luck...

I have several large cages. I put the birds in the cages and as the testing agent tests the birds I put them back into their coop. Each cage is from a different coop so I don't get them mixed up. I also have leg bands so I know where they belong. This way it's easy to grab the birds to be tested. Originally I shut them in their coops and as we tested the birds I put them in their pens but the cages work out better. I have them all ready for when the testing agent gets here. It goes rather quickly and I think she appreciates it as most of the time they have to chase down the birds to be tested. Good luck...

Thankfully, there's no need to sort my birds, and I was seeking to avoid the expense of individual cages. Though I will start buying them up when the price is good, as I foresee a future need...

/edit and thank's for the tip about top open cages!

The cages I have are quite large so I can put several birds in one cage and as they are tested I put them back into their coop.

I have a few hundred birds. The chicks don't need to be tested until they become breeders. I do have some general population coops and pens for birds I don't use as breeders. They aren't tested but I usually try to get a few out of those coops and get them tested. Next time I'll try to remember to take some pictures.

Back
Top Bottom