Inspired by Gopher boy

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Clay In Iowa, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Songster

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    Seeing the pictures of GB and his truck load of free lumber for his coop got me to thinking. I live in Iowa Craigs list just isn't muck out here and free stuff is almost non existent. Especially lumber, here in farm country nearly everyone has access to a barn or storage shed. So I was think... I know a farmer, good friend actually, who in the off season buys old farm houses, renovates them and then flips them. I decided to give him a call. I asked if he had any lumber he was going to chuck on a pile and burn. Wowzers!!! he has 2 or 3 truckloads he was going to burn, lots of 2x4s. 2x6s, 2x8s and full and half sheets of plywood. SCOOOOOORRRREEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

Thanks for the inspiration GB. [​IMG]

2. A.J.'s

A.J.'s Songster

Nov 11, 2008
    Tennessee
    Wow that sounds like a paradise for me.. HOw I do love free stuff.
    BUT better get a drill out and some heavy duty nails and a heavy hammer. That stuff is hard as a rock. It can be handled tho
    I sometimes will drill a hole a bit smaller than the nail and then put the nail in and hammer it in. Sometimes I just use screws, either way its gonna be an issue.
    Cutting it also will take a good sharp blade. but it will last forever if you can get it up. Good luck, you are going to need it...labor pays off. A.J's

3. ChickenTender63

ChickenTender63 Songster

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    Good Job!

4. Awesome score!

5. Shoot, ask him if he ever has a small building or shed that he wants removed from a property... I got my 8x8 coop off of an old trailerhouse. It was the porch. I just had to build a wall to enclose the side that sat up against the trailerhouse. Already had windows, vinyl, and a nice plaster interior.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm 10 Years

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    WOW!!! What a SCOOOOOORRRREEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! I'm always a day late or a dollar short. [​IMG]

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    And I thought it was going to be a pic of someone wearing a suspender barrel! [​IMG]

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member 10 Years

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:Ha ha ha ha! [​IMG]

My dad calls free finds like yours a "scarf." So to you, congrats on the excellent scarfing! [​IMG]

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

10. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Songster

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    well........are there pics of what you are building with it all?????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: