Inspiring Story: Teacher, Transplant Recipient, and Chicken Enthusiast

Awwwww......Thanks guys. It HAS been three weeks. And you know what else can takes three weeks?!?!? Chicks! And I have one hatching today! Three broody bantam hens: Buff Cochin - Ms. Stan, Dominique - Mookey, and a Black Rose Comb - Crazy...sitting on a lump of eggs! I pulled a few in the house when I saw the first pip last night. I think he's making it okay, but it's taking him forever to kick out of that shell!

That's good news.

Health has been fairly well too. The start of school was January 4th. I thought I was ready. My body put the brakes on! They've allowed me to slowly ease my way back intot the program, and at the start of the new quarter, Wednesday, I will take two of my three 8th grade classes. The students are excited as am I!!!!

I've been ramping up the class room and will have to take photos of how great it is coming together. With some of the funds that were raised, I've ordered an LED scrolling message screen which will promise to be an incredible motivational tool.

http://schoolcenter.guilford.k12.nc.us/education/staff/staff.php?sectionid=32482
My class website

I have my share of challenges too. Though they aren't as frequent as they once were. If you follow me on Youtube, then the last video created will allow you into the darker part of this journey:
http://www.youtube.com/Grillmaster33

Otherwise, GOSH, I appreciate you all keeping up with my story. I've been so uplifted by your words and views and prayers and now by my new chicks and the start of school! The year has started out to be a good one!

(Though I do have a few appointments come Monday....we shall seeeeeeeeeee)

jumpy.gif
yay!

All has been well. The school year is flying by! I forgot for a sec that I had to get back into the tumultuous, spontaneous minds of 8th graders and how difficult that can be.

In 11 days I have to have tumors (Yes, tumors!) removed and will be out of work and back in severe pain. The last time they were benign, but they've been keeping a close eye on them. Precancerous dysplasia.

Other than that, my flock keeps growing. I almost bought a Silkie. I have a mama buff Cochin bantam and a broody old English modern game bantam.

There are a few birds with a sort of ssneeze and watery eye. What' do I need to do for them?

Uh oh! I'd be worried about mycoplasmosis. Look that up. If that's what it is, they will be carriers for life. :( But you can treat them with antibiotics (Tylan50, think it's for pigs, but it's the best for MG) and they will get better. But they can infect any birds they are exposed to, will become symptomatic again if they are put under stress, and will be carriers for life. I found out the hard way about this disease when I purchased my first birds. I culled them before I grew my flock b/c I just didn't want to have to worry about it. But I have a dual purpose flocks, and they aren't really pets. My bantams are pets these days, but we try to remember we got the chickens for food.

So glad to hear you're back in the classroom!

Thanks so much. And your two birds, who are now named Dari and Grill are healthy and well. In fact Grill is a happy dad. I'm not sure if Dari's eggs were in the clutch. But I'd still love to visit your chickens. Let me know when.

I'll look into that Tylan.

Sorry, things have just been crazy here. And now we're all sick! But i have baby goats due next month if you want to wait until after they're here!

Back
Top Bottom