installing a fan during middle of incubation

Loving My Peeps

Chicken Whisperer
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
Central, Maine
Has anyone done this before? I just got a fan and installed it into my LG still air incubator on day 14. I have an auto turner and don't normally have the cover off for more than 15 seconds at a time. I figured that people that need to manually turn the eggs several times a day have it open for much longer. It took my about 4 minutes to install the fan with the cover completely off. Temps have come right back to normal within 10 minutes. I have 18 developing eggs in there and have not had any problems thus far. I was reading about the improved hatch rates with a fan and decided to pick one up. Just looking for some feedback....

Pemburu

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 13, 2010
Oklahoma
Good morning, Your time offline time was nothing to worry about. I did a hatch in still air last month. On candling days I would take all eggs out ... put in egg cartons... carry to the bathroom (darkest room) ... candle... return to incubator... rearrange ... hmmmm..... stare a bit at them.. In the end they did fine. I candled about 3 times and this was 30 ish eggs... so it wasn't a fast process.

I did still air all the way, therefore, unable to comment on the adding fan for better hatch comment. Good luck in the upcoming week... only 5 or 6 more days til the peeps and fuzzballs arrive.

edited wording around peeps and fuzzballs
roll.png

Last edited:

Loving My Peeps

Chicken Whisperer
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
Central, Maine
Thank you, Pemburu. I'm still concernde about placing the fan during mid incubation. I had my temps running a bit warmer for the still air and now at about 100 with the forced air. Not sure how that works on the developing chicks.

Pemburu

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 13, 2010
Oklahoma
Not to worry scshev. Those critters can take more variation of temps... and from what I read... you're little too warm at times would cause earlier hatch time... or cooler would be slightly later. So... I don't think you have changed the internal temp enough to make a difference.

In still air you're supposed to run a little warmer ( at the top level of the egg) 101ish (some instructions say 102-103) .. while down at ground level (wire, paper towel, etc...) your temp would be closer to 98-99ish....averaging out the mid egg temp around 99.5 - 99.7. Your eggs feel no wind from the fan... if the temp stabilized ... all around the egg... they probably didn't notice anything. You just have a more stable temp is all.

Again... don't sweat it. Your slight change in temp probably did no harm whatsoever.... you only changed the hatch time +/- 1 or 2 hours.
big_smile.png
Enjoy and anticipate.. no stress allowed

Top Bottom