1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Instant quail house

Discussion in 'Quail' started by magikchick, Apr 17, 2009.

1. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I got this idea this morning. I was going to buy some rabbit houses for my quail but as I was making coffee an idea came to me. I took my empty 1lb Maxwell House coffee container and cut a hole in the lid. Lay it on it's side and you have a quail condo. I can attach it by wiring the handle to pen so it don't move. Throw a little hay in and there you go.

What do you think? And I'm recycleing.[​IMG]

2. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    sounds like a good idea! i like taking old "useless" stuff and making them useful. pictures?

3. Mikhail

Mikhail Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    I've done that, but my buttons don't like it. They don't like any sort of box, igloo, and other little hiding places. Its weird, I thought they liked to have hiding spots?

4. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Sounds neat! We don't drink coffee, otherwise I might try this.

5. silentrunning

silentrunning Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Venice, Florida
    I love to "recycle" stuff. All my cages and pens are mostly freebie materials I have rescued from going into the landfill. Maybe we should have a complete forum of objects we have made for our birds from rescued materials.

Doug

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  6. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Cool idea!

7. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    awesome idea!!! Now if only i drank coffee [​IMG]

no matter, I have litter containers I could make something cute out of. My one coturnix hen is hinting at broodiness in the rabbit hutch made a lil impression and I'm planning on here soon putting dried grass in there for her, and once I get all my testers out of the way letting her lay as many eggs in there as she wants and see if she will sit them [​IMG] they really seem to like the confined hidey-holes so a coffee can would probably make them pretty happy least it would mine [​IMG]

8. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Sounds neat!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by