instead of hatching in a carton

urbanagrarian

Songster
12 Years
Feb 4, 2007
Massachusetts
I tried something for my hatch today that worked pretty well and was very easy.

I took an empty toilet paper roll, flattened it a little and cut 1/4 to 3/8 inch rings off it by cutting perpendicular to the length of the tube. I then set the eggs in the rings to hatch on their side. The hatched chicks pushed the eggs around in the rings a bit, but they couldn't roll them easily.

I got the idea from erading about folks who use pipe cleaners to set the eggs in. I didn't have any pipe cleaners and thought I'd use the empty toiler paper roll.

Today is day 21. So far 14 out of 17 hatched and the last 3 are piped.

It's certainly cheap and easy

Thats a great idea, too. Ive been using the egg cartons, and they do work nicely, but Im finding with some of the bigger chicks that they just can't flop out of the egg shells. I might give your idea a try.

from my e-mail titled PLEASE REPLY TO THIS THREAD
Please to make sure once the chick has zipped the egg - that the top can be popped off - if the TP roll is too snug around the egg, the chick will not be able to pop the top off and hatch!

(feel free to say from WILDSKY)

THANK YOU!!!

With 1/4 inch rings, I don't think they will be too snug. The egg can move a little in it. I'm not sure what the optimal thickness will be to prevent rolling while giving the chick total freedom in hatching.

I can't get my photos on my computer at the moment
If anyone else can show this. It just takes 1/4 inch slice from a a TP roll and an egg from the fridge for demonstration.

My hatch rate with 17 eggs yesterday was 100%, due to good fertility, a healthy flock and a Genesis 1588 more then TP loops, I'm sure, but it was nice not to have eggs being rolled all over the place. I'm trying it again Saturday with the next hatch and really want to know if other folks have luck with this. It's not perfect eggs can still be moved, but they don't seem to roll and I do remove batches of chicks that are fluffed up to a brooder to lessen the amount in the hatcher.

Some chicks as they ran around did have toilet paper loops around them. Although they seemed to be able to get out of them. I think they are too big and stiff to be a strangling hazard, but I do keep an eye on them occasionally.

I just love new inventions!
ya.gif
Keep up the good work!
jumpy.gif
Let me guess I bet it was Charmin!
lau.gif
ps I just had too!!!

Back
Top Bottom