instinctive fear of ceiling fans ;)

patandchickens

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I was doing some work in the building where the chickens are, yesterday, and it was Real Hot with sweat sheeting down my face and arms, so I decided to turn on the ceiling fans for breeze. (This used to be a dog breeding/boarding kennel, and has ceiling fans among other things). I haven't used them for a year or so but figured they'd still work.

So, not thinking anything of it, I flipped the switch.

The fans began turning.

And the chickens (particularly the sussexes, their pen being right next to both fans) immediately recognized their ancient enemy, the Greater White Clockwise-spinning Hawk. You should have seen them! Half of them flew into the walls, the other half froze with their heads on the floor. The more responsible of the two cockerels started shouting "bawk bawk bawk baGAWK!" over and over, which apparently means something to the effect of "take cover from this threat, ladies, or else I will have no one left to have sex with!"

Poor things. It took probably five minutes for them to un-freeze and decide that the ceiling fans maybe couldn't see them, or preferred to eat other things, or possibly were just a figment of their imagination. But those were NOT five pleasant minutes for the chickens.

But I am pleased to say that if a large albino rotary eagle should ever menace the chickens for real, man oh man, they are *prepared*.

Pat

Last edited:
yuckyuck.gif
Wow!!.. I bet they did think that was a big old nasty bird!!! Oh my!

Okay we have talked about NO beverages while reading these, right? Still someone owes me a new keyboard!!!

And are you sure you aren't raising my chooks?
gig.gif
gig.gif

Oh man, a similar incident happened when I had Chickie in the house and she was perched on the back of a chair in the living room. It was hot so I turned the Casablanca fan located over head on.....Chickie took a flying leap off the chair and clear across the kitchen, squawking and screaming. I couldn't imagine what had gotten into her, then I realized the fan, to her, is probably like a huge bird predator. Poor thing, I felt so terrible for frightening her like that.

Back
Top Bottom