Instincts for Survival

Arielle

Crowing
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
Just wanted to post something nice as I have read so many sad stories here.

THis morning, a med sized hawk called it's arrival as it flew up the driveway, over the tops of trees to land in a very tall oak. A great perch to see all around looking for yummies. Especially as there are NO leaves to block the birds view!

My hen was behind me as I watched this magnificent bird. I worried was it hungry? A juvenile? A parent looking to feed it's young? Where were the crows to drive it off?

I turned away to continue with my farm chores and ,Guess what? Where was my hen? (THis hen was a hen housed in a coop her whole life and now had the run of my farm. ) She was under the car,head down, frozen like a statue! Good Girl!

I coaxed her out and took her in the house . . . .my house. . . she hates to be put in her coop during the day . . . except to lay her egg of course! When we went outside a bit later, the hawk was gone!
wee.gif
:weee

I too am impressed with the natural instincts these chickens have managed to retain after 8,000 years of domestication. I always think it's impressive that chicks born in a hatchery and raised in a brooder with other chicks still respond to the alarm calls the adult roosters & hens make. When the roosters growl that bad word that means "hawk!" in gallus, even the chicks stop, shrink, and look to the sky.
thumbsup.gif
Great observation! Thank you for sharing the happy news!

I too, was absolutely amazed when my pullets did this for the first time last year. Never being exposed to a hawk and not having a "momma hen" to teach them, they automatically knew that hawk was an enemy and ran into their coop and hid under their nest boxes! Amazing!

Back
Top Bottom