Unless you have some exotic, thinly feathered breed, insulation is a TOTAL waste of time and money. Chickens already come equipped with perfect insulation of their own. They don't need any help from us, at all. Just give them a dry, WELL ventilated (Not a wind tunnel) place to live, and they will be totally fine. The only thing insulation is good for in a coop, is to give rodents, a nice and cozy, well hidden place to live.

I am starting to realise that...hmm...I will have to redo the design, methinks
Better to redo it on the screen than in lumber ;)
I spent a good 9 months designing my coop using cadd, was time well worth spending as the actual build had much fewer 'field design' events.

I started with an existing structure that had been a coop, and have added to it and modified everything over the years. If I were building from scratch, a Woods coop would be wonderful!!!
I don't understand the advantage of having a raised coop with a wood floor, unless there's really just no more space available. A building on a foundation on the ground, with that dig-proof rat wall, gives the deep bedding a place to work, and helps a bit to modify the temps, both summer and winter. Mine sits on an old concrete foundation, which determined the final size.
Too few windows and inadequate ventilation are very common problems with many coops seen on this site, IMO. They look like closets to me! Mary

yeah...Measure twice, cut once :)

Anyway, I am very happy for the input and as you say - the cost of making an error at this point is really cheap.

@Alaskan I had a look at your coop (did the moose survive?) and I feel like I might need to rethink the need for insulation (I have had 90 mm rockwool in mind)...

You look to have a nice place, in all...

Greger
Thanks for the compliment.

It sounds like you don't need insulation with your temps. It is still nice though (but only if you can keep it rodent free), but not needed.

Those windows I mentioned in point 1. would be great as screened openings.

Deep litter method looks really good, so I am adjusting the design to accomodate that.

Hunting season started this monday, so my neighbours are all gearing up. I kind of miss that - it has been some time since i did hunt for moose...next year I will go (bringing the kids along)

that pitch looks like just about the right angle to take advantage of the low winter sun coming in, if pointed due south, and provide shelter from the heat of the high summer sun. as for laying, I'd make sure the inner roost area has light coming into it to keep their internal clock in good working order. if the light exposure gets too low, they sleep too much and stop laying in the winter. as for insulation, there are varying opinions about that. some have found benefit, but you need to assure proper ventilation, just as you would in a more sealed up house and you need to use foam/solid insulation that rodents don't like.

Deep litter method looks really good, so I am adjusting the design to accomodate that.

Hunting season started this monday, so my neighbours are all gearing up. I kind of miss that - it has been some time since i did hunt for moose...next year I will go (bringing the kids along)

I know people in interior Alaska (so truly cold) that have good success with it. It is harder to keep going with a raised floor, snce that can cool off the bottom too much. Also, good ventilation is more important.

Back
Top Bottom