SGL70

Chirping
Aug 30, 2017
Lulea, Sweden
Next year I will get 5 chickens and I hope to have a finished coop to greet them.

I am planning for an insulated coop as winter can be a bit on the cold side. So with time on my hands, I set out to draw a design using SketchUp. (It has been a bit of a learning curve).

The coop is to be 8 x 4 feet and the run 16 x 8 (with 20" clearence under the coop):

HEN90004_Coop&Run.png
HEN90004_Coop.png

The roof lacks insulation, there is no ventilation and there is no inside (masonite) or outside panelling in this drawing.

Originally I intended to have doors on all sides of the coop, so there might be an addition (the winter is long up here).

Feel free to comment and suggest (I AM new to the game)

ATB,
Greger

Nice cadd model.
Read your other threads too......chickens in the arctic a whole different kettle of fish.
Not sure anyone one here has done it at your latitude.
Heat/ventilation and lighting will be key challenges.
Not sure what to suggest.....but sure look forward to seeing how you roll.

x2! Try the Alaska thread for advise too.
I insulated my coop with fiberglass batts behind thin plywood, and several years later (NOW!) am tearing most of it out. Rats and mice moved in this year, causing misery for everyone. The rats killed three nice bantam pullets, and ate a lot of eggs, before they were eliminated. The mice have been eating feed, and peeing and pooping everywhere. UGH!
At least we don't have Hanta virus here, and chickens don't get Leptospirosis, but still, there's nothing healthy about this.
I still have an insulated roof, nice both summer and winter, and hope to not tear it out too. We'll see...
If you do insulate, be careful! Don't repeat my mistakes. Mary

Thanks!

I will do my utmost to keep rats/mice at bay. Not exactly sure what needs to be done, except not having any holes allowing access to the insulation.

THe walls will have a barrier/foil under the inside wall panelling (houses are built that way around here - for insulation reasons mostly) which makes the ventilation crucial. As I currently dont know how humid it will be, I will have preparations for improving on the ventilation, built in.

Lighting, aye...at this point, I would be ok with less/no eggs during winter....but some lighting is nessecary.

Unfortunately, I couldn't embed a viewer, but here is a 3D-Model for the curious: https://skfb.ly/6txMw

I would go with those pink foam bats, I used them and sprayed in insulation to fill in the gaps and so far, after a couple years, no rats or mice. I framed then covered the whole thing in hardware cloth accept for the floor. then roofed and finished the interior. with in impervious shell, you don't end up with the rodent issues, at least I have not. I went down 2 feet at a 45 degree angle into the ground, which is supposed to deter vermin as they will lose ground as they dig down. so far this seems to have done the trick. one thing I'd add to your design is consider adding transparent or translucent paneling to at least some of the top so that natural light comes into the inner coop so they don't sleep too much in the winter. a little extra natural light does wonders for egg production!

Thanks!

I know that hardware cloth is used to hinder mice, but I haven't seen them "in use" yet.

Regarding the roof...yeah, I might just do that, as winter's here are seriously dark. That's a great idea!

EDIT:
There are some commercial product regarding mice. Just found this (goes under the outside panelling (which is ventilated):
Musband.jpg

just how cold/wet/windy do you get?

And what Latitude are you at? I am in the banana belt of Alaska. ..and sunny, at Latitude 69.

Anyway... I have found that hardware cloth between the studs and the siding, and as a covering on the door sill, have succeeded at keeping out the rodent hordes. So, I recommend that.

I don't get colder than -20F, but I have lots of wind and high humidity (I am on the coast, and get that toasty Japanese water to keep the winter mild ;) )

I LOVE covered runs.

On your drawings. ...

1. I like the openings that you have on the coop wall that is in the run. If you have hot summers I would make them bigger. You could make sliding covers for them so they are not too big in winter.

2. Your nest box entrance looks like it is the same height as the sleeping perch...lower the nest box entrance.

3. for winter I would put plastic panels on two full run sides, and the run part that is under the coop. I would leave the run end open.

4. do you get a big snow load? Maybe angle the roof more? I hate extra shoveling work. If you don't angle the roof to shed snow, make sure it is strong enough.

5. if you wrap the coop in hardware cloth to keep out rodents, then I would insulate the entire coop, it does make a huge difference. At least insulate the roof and the floor, especially if you have wind.

6. If you are interested, and build a deep enough sill in the coop, you might want to think about the deep litter method. You want to turn the bottom of the coop into a compost pile. If you start it up late summer/early fall, it will be nice and hot before the cold sets in. It is easier to do with a taller coop.

7. You need light. If you set the light at 10 hours a day, that is not enough light to get them to lay (unless it is a young high production breed..those don't need light to lay). However, 10 hours of light gives them enough time to eat. The colder it gets the more they eat, and they MUST have enough time to eat. You will want one light in the coop and probably 2 in the run, and a plug for the water de-icer.

Thanks for your suggestions! Super!
I have commented on them:

just how cold/wet/windy do you get?
Not that windy, at all. Very low humidity and temperatures around -15 to -20F, but with the potential to dip beyond that. I would say that humidity might come into play during autumn, normally.

And what Latitude are you at? I am in the banana belt of Alaska. ..and sunny, at Latitude 69.
I am at the top of the Gulf of Bothnia, so approx 65.

1. I like the openings that you have on the coop wall that is in the run. If you have hot summers I would make them bigger. You could make sliding covers for them so they are not too big in winter.
Oh, that is to be windows.

2. Your nest box entrance looks like it is the same height as the sleeping perch...lower the nest box entrance.
OK, will do.

3. for winter I would put plastic panels on two full run sides, and the run part that is under the coop. I would leave the run end open.
Ah, right...good for the chickens and reduces spin drift (i.e. showelling)

4. do you get a big snow load? Maybe angle the roof more? I hate extra shoveling work. If you don't angle the roof to shed snow, make sure it is strong enough.
Well, winters nowadays are a bit weird, so it is hard to say. There are "recommendations" in how to construct a roof to cope with snow loads. Haven't looked yet, but I will sure do that.

5. if you wrap the coop in hardware cloth to keep out rodents, then I would insulate the entire coop, it does make a huge difference. At least insulate the roof and the floor, especially if you have wind.
The plan is to insulate it all....doors, walls, roof, floor....tutti...

6. If you are interested, and build a deep enough sill in the coop, you might want to think about the deep litter method. You want to turn the bottom of the coop into a compost pile. If you start it up late summer/early fall, it will be nice and hot before the cold sets in. It is easier to do with a taller coop.
Aha! More reading required.

7. You need light. If you set the light at 10 hours a day, that is not enough light to get them to lay (unless it is a young high production breed..those don't need light to lay). However, 10 hours of light gives them enough time to eat. The colder it gets the more they eat, and they MUST have enough time to eat. You will want one light in the coop and probably 2 in the run, and a plug for the water de-icer.
I will make it so.

Last edited:
@Alaskan I had a look at your coop (did the moose survive?) and I feel like I might need to rethink the need for insulation (I have had 90 mm rockwool in mind)...

You look to have a nice place, in all...

Greger

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom