Help! I think my new chicken is not feeling well

At 3 months her comb is going to be pale. Looks like a Buff Orpington and if she is, she will be pale along with white skin and legs. Once she matures and comes into lay, her comb and wattles will redden up, sometimes the facial tissue around the eyes will pink up some too, really depends on the breeding/line.

I agree, I'd treat for Coccidiosis and deworm too. These can be done at the same time since the Corid goes in the water and the Safeguard or Valbazen is given orally.

Check her poop again, it's hard to tell in the photo if that's a roundworm or perhaps just a piece of stick or debris.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
To treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.
----OR----
Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

View attachment 3811860Thank you so much for all the dosage info and for telling me about the comb. I thought she was a Rhode Island chicken, but I’m probably wrong. Glad to hear that it’s probably not a pale comb! I’ve treated one of my chickens for coccidiosis before so I’m positive she will make a full recovery if it’s that 🙏🏼

Thank you so much for all the dosage info and for telling me about the comb. I thought she was a Rhode Island chicken, but I’m probably wrong. Glad to hear that it’s probably not a pale comb! I’ve treated one of my chickens for coccidiosis before so I’m positive she will make a full recovery if it’s that 🙏🏼
Nah, Rhode Island Reds have yellow legs and skin, plus reddish feathers and beak.

Your little Gal has white to pinkish legs, pinkish/pale beak, white skin, buff colored feathers. Her body shape and head also would indicate she's a Buff Orpington.

Hopefully she'll improve with treatment. Do keep her separated out from the others until you are sure she's well.

You only got one? They didn't have a buddy for her?

Nah, Rhode Island Reds have yellow legs and skin, plus reddish feathers and beak.

Your little Gal has white to pinkish legs, pinkish/pale beak, white skin, buff colored feathers. Her body shape and head also would indicate she's a Buff Orpington.

Hopefully she'll improve with treatment. Do keep her separated out from the others until you are sure she's well.

You only got one? They didn't have a buddy for her?
I’ve only got her. She’s a replacement for a hermaphrodite hen I’ve got from their farm. I think she will be well accepted once she feels better. I have 2 silkies that are about the same age as her and then an almost year old Easter egger - which used to be sweet - that’s turning into quite a harsh ruler since my hen/rooster has been gone 🙈

Thank you for your info on the breed!

Is her crop empty and flat when she wakes up in the morning, have you noticed? Does it currently feel squishy like a water balloon or hard?

Have you noticed any nasal or eye discharge? Have you checked her mouth for lesions?

What is her story of how she came to be yours?
Hi there! I checked her crop again this morning and it’s flat. Not squishy anymore - I’ve started Corid. Hoping she’ll make a full recovery

Hi there! I checked her crop again this morning and it’s flat. Not squishy anymore - I’ve started Corid. Hoping she’ll make a full recovery
Good deal, one less thing to worry about. I hope she’ll show signs of improvement with the corid. Does she seem any more chipper today?

I’ve just came home from running some errands and found babygirl dead. Whatever it was, I didn’t catch it on time 😢
I’m so sorry. Don’t feel bad, you did everything you could, nobody could’ve done more for her. Fly high sweet chicken and be free from sickness and pain.

Back
Top Bottom