Insulating a very hot coop

Our coop a converted shed is insulated with foam sheets, dropped ceiling , walls and floors , it was 10 degrees cooler then the barn last week that only has insulated walls .... it really does help and they really will eat it... I’d do it all the way down then cover it with cheap paneling or particle board sheets..... good luck . We have no a/c or fans just cross breezes
Awesome maybe I can get rid of the a/c and lower the electric bill

In this pic, I had the fan inside. That did not work at all. It just blew really hot air from the burning hot metal tin.
I then cut a large opening on each side on this lean to thing, and inserted the fan. This way it blew air from the outside instead of the air that was being heated by the tin.
IMG_4113.JPG
It is confusing to me as well, it does have vents between roof and walls were the metal is corrugated.And a turbine on the top. I think the sun just bakes the metal making it a oven.
Your right, it sure felt like an oven before I altered it.
I will post pics:

IMG_4119.JPG

Btw I did not build this originally. We just had to make do with what was already there!

Hello everyone,
I have some questions regarding insulating. I have a 10X12 metal shed that we converted into a coop. We cut a window and installed an air conditioner however it’s 104 degrees out and it doesn’t help at all. I was going to buy 0.75 inch insulating board the “styrofoam with reflective stuff” however I’m unsure if they will eat at it. I’m wondering if I just do the ceiling and all but 4’ from the floor if it Would be sufficient . Do you think it will still cool enough? Thank you for your time, also they have a very large shaded run so they are not baking
I used that under my aluminum roof and it works great - reflective foil facing out. They make it in 2" thickness and you might want to use that instead of the 1". My chickens do love themselves a little Styrofoam!! Just put it where they can't get at it. Start with the roof, but do get to the walls too, starting with the ones that get the most sun. You can always cover the foam board with some kind of paneling so they can't eat it. I'm in central Florida and I feel your pain.

In this pic, I had the fan inside. That did not work at all. It just blew really hot air from the burning hot metal tin.
I then cut a large opening on each side on this lean to thing, and inserted the fan. This way it blew air from the outside instead of the air that was being heated by the tin.
View attachment 1470968
Your right, it sure felt like an oven before I altered it.
I will post pics:

View attachment 1470966
Btw I did not build this originally. We just had to make do with what was already there!
That’s really nice! Y’all did awesome, I can’t seem to keep mine alive with open sided coops at night they have to be completely shut up or all the critters come out. This is only my 3rd year with chickens so I’m still learning how best to keep them clucken

I used that under my aluminum roof and it works great - reflective foil facing out. They make it in 2" thickness and you might want to use that instead of the 1". My chickens do love themselves a little Styrofoam!! Just put it where they can't get at it. Start with the roof, but do get to the walls too, starting with the ones that get the most sun. You can always cover the foam board with some kind of paneling so they can't eat it. I'm in central Florida and I feel your pain.
And the humidity there is unreal lol I’m in Oklahoma we don’t have near the humidity you have yay I will definitely get the 2” for roof thank you

I also have 5 week old Brahma chicks I have to keep them away from the nasty hens I had a milk crate trot line of chicks I should have posted pics lol I may tomorrow while i work on that. Thought y’all would find that funny

I'm just north of Phoenix AZ and had a wood coop with a metal roof. The coop had 3.5 sides plus plenty of add'l windows. I put white elastomeric coating on the roof and put up the reflectix insulation, with an appropriate air pocket. But the coop was still an oven so it's gone. But I never tried the 2 inch thick stiff insulation, it was beyond my ability to haul and install. I hope that works for you! PS, I moved the birds into the former duck run, and all they have for a roof (besides predator protection/fence all around) is shade cloth. At the right slope it actually deflects rain. They also have fans and sometimes I use a mist system if I feel compelled to provide add'l cooling.

That’s really nice! Y’all did awesome, I can’t seem to keep mine alive with open sided coops at night they have to be completely shut up or all the critters come out. This is only my 3rd year with chickens so I’m still learning how best to keep them clucken
Are you using hardware cloth?
If so, what is getting through it?

Are you using hardware cloth?
If so, what is getting through it?
It was just chicken wire but the original was sutured to the top of a stall in the barn possum and skunk would walk on it and push it down then shimmy down a post. Atleast that’s was the assumption. The other major issue is snakes they can get in the chicken wire but then after cant get out nothing like finding that at 5am.

Back
Top Bottom