Insulation or anything inside? Located in Washington

The exposed framing does make it a little harder to clean -edit to add the visible parts -end edit. The dust collects on the cross pieces. A whisk broom with long, soft bristles cleans it fairly well but it is an extra step.

When I painted it, and when I will whitewash it in the spring, and if I ever treat for mites or lice it takes a little more time and care to get the extra corners.

I think it is worth that extra step to deny mice and such the protection of both sides of the studs being covered. The T-11 isn't very secure against mice as it is too easy for them to chew a way through if they don't find a crack.

I've been using quite a lot of ashes in their dust bath space inside the coop and I think that has made mine much more dusty than most are. I've started thinking of using fewer ashes, at least in winter.
Thank you! ❤️ Ours gets quite dusty too. What would you line the inside with? Plywood? 1/2” vs 3/4”?

The exposed framing does make it a little harder to clean -edit to add the visible parts -end edit. The dust collects on the cross pieces. A whisk broom with long, soft bristles cleans it fairly well but it is an extra step.

When I painted it, and when I will whitewash it in the spring, and if I ever treat for mites or lice it takes a little more time and care to get the extra corners.

I think it is worth that extra step to deny mice and such the protection of both sides of the studs being covered. The T-11 isn't very secure against mice as it is too easy for them to chew a way through if they don't find a crack.

I've been using quite a lot of ashes in their dust bath space inside the coop and I think that has made mine much more dusty than most are. I've started thinking of using fewer ashes, at least in winter.
Oh another thought I’d had. I was worried that lining the interior might make it more hospitable for critters. I’m new to building so I don’t know if there’s any merit to it at all, just worried about creating a good environment for bugs to dwell, etc. even if sealed off to the best of my ability.

Oh another thought I’d had. I was worried that lining the interior might make it more hospitable for critters. I’m new to building so I don’t know if there’s any merit to it at all, just worried about creating a good environment for bugs to dwell, etc. even if sealed off to the best of my ability.

Yes, spaces in the walls attract rodents and bugs. Better to leave it open.

It's a chicken coop -- you can't keep it spotlessly clean no matter what. :D

Yes, spaces in the walls attract rodents and bugs. Better to leave it open.

It's a chicken coop -- you can't keep it spotlessly clean no matter what. :D
Don’t I know it. 😂 Thank you! Is the T1-11 sturdy enough? I’m planning to situate the whole coop IN a secured run, so I’m hopeful this will deter rodents. But still on the fence about placement and it could change.

Thank you! ❤️ Ours gets quite dusty too. What would you line the inside with? Plywood? 1/2” vs 3/4”?
My walls are 3/4" (actual, not nominal) boards with battens over the cracks between the boards. The boards and battens are each nailed to a piece of lumber (a little smaller than a 2x4) at the top, the middle, and the bottom.

Lots of people use T-11; it isn't a bad choice.

I'm concerned about mites and lice, too. I painted the inside first, to smooth it at least a little. It was very, very rough sawn - actual splinters sticking out in lots of places.

My main defense is whitewashing. It is antimicrobial as well as filling in cracks so mites can't hide in them. I ran out of warm weather, though, so will do it in the spring.

A picture of the inside of mine. Caulked and painted with nothing on the inside as far as any sheet goods. I never got around to painting the inside of the door.

IMG_20210516_113941.jpg

Back
Top Bottom