Insulation: What about doors?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FiveForAll, Apr 18, 2012.

1. FiveForAll

FiveForAll New Egg

Apr 14, 2012
    I am in the process of designing our first coop. I plan to frame with 2 x 3s and insulate the coop walls. As I look at several of the coops being built on BYC, even the insulated coops don't seem to bother with insulating access doors and/or external nest boxes. I would also like to construct fairly simple plexi-glass windows (again no insulation). How are these things working out for people? We live forty miles north of Green Bay, WI and I hope to do minimal heating during the winter. Thanks for any pointers, experiences and wish I'd done it different stories. If it helps, I am planning a 4' x 6' enclosed coop, elevated two feet off the ground, attached 4' x 8' enclosed run, 3 chicks now, maybe up to six layers down the road.

Peace,
    Thunderbird 1

2. sixseveneight

sixseveneight New Egg

Feb 9, 2010
    Hey TB,
    I wouldn't worry about insulation if you choose cold hardy breeds! My favorite trick to keep the girls warm in the winter is to stack a generous helping of straw/old hay bales alongside at least the windiest sides of the coop (usually N and W, but it changes throughout). As it gets warmer, you can gradually spread them in the chickens' run and then remove them for fertilizing your garden. Three uses out of one bale! Good luck!

--Natalie

3. FiveForAll

FiveForAll New Egg

Apr 14, 2012
    Thanks, we use old hay for the rabbit and garden as well. It makes sense to stack it for insulation/wind barrier, oldest trick in the book and I didn't think of it.
    Thanks again.

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    The consensus here is that chickens don't need insulation, they need a draft-free environment.

If those in Alaska don't insulate, there might be a message there.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by