Integrate new chicks with 4 week old chicks or later with older flock - what's better?

DuckDuckSook

Songster
Jan 20, 2020
Southeastern PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello Friends!

I have three 11 week old hens and 1 rooster (I'm currently trying to find a new home for the rooster). I also have four chicks that I just got last week. My question is this: For the five chicks I am getting in the mail in June, do I integrate them after a few days with the 3.5 week old chicks or do I wait and integrate them with the older hens later when they themselves are 6 weeks old? I've been reading up on integrating and I'm not sure which way would be easier. I have two separate coops and runs. My three 11 week old hens and the rooster are in one coop/run. The other one will either house just the four chicks I currently have when they are a bit older or it will be home to those four chicks plus the five June babies. Sorry if this is confusing the way I wrote it out. I'm leaning towards integrating the June chicks with the chicks I currently have since they will be closer in age and the 11 week old ones will be nearly full grown by then. Any suggestions or ideas are much appreciated. Thanks!

I have read these, Thanks. I was just looking to see what people thought about my situation and if anyone had experience with something similar. I think chicks to chicks is generally easier but I wasn't sure.

Do you have a way to separate everyone with wire? We built a 10x10 brooder "room" that has hardware cloth in some spots so the other chickens can see right into it. This spring I integrated my 2 month old pullets with my 8 month old flock and all I had to do was let the pullets out with the rest. The integration worked seamlessly with no scuffles. I did the same with my 3 week old chicks and the chicks I just hatched for 2 days then let them in together. They've been together now for a full week again no issues.

I think it would be best as hollowofwisps said to put them on either side of a wire cloth so they can see each other and interact but not enough for them to start fighting and causing injuries. then maybe remove the wire once they've become used to each other and supervise them when the wires removed and put it back on when your not there and then fully remove it

Back
Top Bottom