Integrating 2 9-week teenagers to flock of 3 8-week teenagers

Shelbysoobs

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2022
I have 1 golden comet pullet (9 weeks on thurs 8/19) and 2 Easter egger pullets (8 weeks on Thursday 8/19. They have been together since I purchased from the feed store, when they were 1 week 3 days and 3 day old hatchlings.

They have been in an enclosed 7x7 covered run for 2 weeks now, with a raised coop within this space. They have a full 7x7 usable space, with herbs, concrete blocks, places to hide, etc. but I haven’t yet installed any roosts in the run area so they cant hide super well.

I built a crappy enclosure within the 7x7 run for two pullets I am trying to integrate. Today is day 3. They are a 9 week olive egger and a 9 week buff laced polish hen. The polish hen is still so tiny in comparison though she is the oldest by a couple days.

My existing flock still seems to be searching for a way into the “paddock” as I call it, not sure if it’s because they want to be mean to the new pullets or want access to the herbs sectioned off, etc. but at other times seem completely disinterested. I did notice that the golden comet especially seems to act territorial if I throw some fresh strawberries into the paddock, refresh their water, etc. the water container in the paddock is new, the golden comet has never had access to it. So it’s not like she’s mad they have her “favorite” waterer.. I am having a hard time discerning if she’s curious or if she intends to be mean to the new comers. One of my Easter eggers also seems to be searching the paddock for vulnerabilities as well, on occasion.

So, my question is.. what’s phase 2 of this integration? How long should I expect to keep them separate? It’s hard to change out the food and water, and I can’t really access the run to mix up bedding until the paddock is gone. I guess I’m at a loss to know how long I should expect them to be separate, what signs to look for as far as when I can try integrating.. I just really worry about the new girls especially, the polish hen is my husbands and it is the first pet in his entire life, and he’s very sensitive so he is quite attached to her.

I don’t free range to let them all out together as a trial run, im not sure I can trust them to go back in or not fly over the fence. The 3 existing pullets still run from us. My fault for not holding them more. So if I call them to come back to the run they would definitely not go in if I was anywhere by the door.

I always make sure I have fed my existing flock by hand in many different directions. After they have eaten let the littles out. it may be mayhem at first, but the littles will go to a safe hiding place. If they roost in their pen, they will come back to it at night. Best of luck!

I always make sure I have fed my existing flock by hand in many different directions. After they have eaten let the littles out. it may be mayhem at first, but the littles will go to a safe hiding place. If they roost in their pen, they will come back to it at night. Best of luck!
So far I am still having to place them into their coop at night, they keep flying up to the top and sitting on the roof of the coop and then I move them to the roosting bar inside. So if they are free ranging what will stop them from just sitting on whatever they find that is up high as opposed to wanting to sit specifically on their coop house?

I had brahmas and favaucana do this last year. I spent countless nights putting them in the main coop I wanted them in. I'd say it took a month. I now have a salmon Fav and an EE who roost between coops, and I can't reach them. When I open up the littles coop, I will have to put them in the big coop for night. Probably when the weather starts to turn. Tjhe Salmon Fave should be laying but doesn't go in the coop. Oh, the things we do for those girls!

They're so close in age I'd probably just add new clutter/move existing clutter in the run, and try letting them all together to see what happens. They're not teens quite yet, so still young enough that they may accept newcomers without too much hassle.
This^^^

Maybe first swap enclosures for a few days....
....that'll rattle them and break up the territoriality a bit.

They are essentially the same age and all are pullets. They are still pretty young but will still set up a pecking order. There is no telling how peaceful or violent that will be, even at that age. The run should be big enough for 5 birds after they are integrated but it's small for integration. I assume that's 7 feet, not 7 meters. It's not square feet per bird that is important, it's can one bird get away from another if there is conflict and then avoid them so there isn't more conflict. In a 7' x 7' run, if one pullet is in the middle, every other pullet in there is within 5 feet of her. That's not a lot of separation. Clutter is certainly a good idea. I'd put in a perch high enough that the others can't reach it from the ground to peck their feet. Maybe consider a table where you can feed up high out of sight of the ones on the ground, even if it is temporary. You can wait to see if you need this, probably won't.

A lot of times these things go a lot easier than you would ever expect. No drama whatsoever. They have been "see but don't touch" for 3 days. That's not a lot but it could be enough. I'm not sure what your coop looks like either, since it is elevated it's probably not huge.

I'd let them mingle whenever your schedule allows you to observe them some during the day. I like to start in the morning so they have all day to work in it. Just open that pen and see what happens. Some skirmishing and chasing would not bother me but if one gets trapped against a fence or squats down where another is pecking at her head that is dangerous. Stop that immediately. The aggressor could be any one of your five, even the tiny Polish. Let them decide where they want to sleep at night, at least until they have proven that they can coexist in that run. When I'm integrating I don't care where they sleep as long as it is predator safe and not in my nests. They'll work that stuff out later.

Good luck.

They are essentially the same age and all are pullets. They are still pretty young but will still set up a pecking order. There is no telling how peaceful or violent that will be, even at that age. The run should be big enough for 5 birds after they are integrated but it's small for integration. I assume that's 7 feet, not 7 meters. It's not square feet per bird that is important, it's can one bird get away from another if there is conflict and then avoid them so there isn't more conflict. In a 7' x 7' run, if one pullet is in the middle, every other pullet in there is within 5 feet of her. That's not a lot of separation. Clutter is certainly a good idea. I'd put in a perch high enough that the others can't reach it from the ground to peck their feet. Maybe consider a table where you can feed up high out of sight of the ones on the ground, even if it is temporary. You can wait to see if you need this, probably won't.

A lot of times these things go a lot easier than you would ever expect. No drama whatsoever. They have been "see but don't touch" for 3 days. That's not a lot but it could be enough. I'm not sure what your coop looks like either, since it is elevated it's probably not huge.

I'd let them mingle whenever your schedule allows you to observe them some during the day. I like to start in the morning so they have all day to work in it. Just open that pen and see what happens. Some skirmishing and chasing would not bother me but if one gets trapped against a fence or squats down where another is pecking at her head that is dangerous. Stop that immediately. The aggressor could be any one of your five, even the tiny Polish. Let them decide where they want to sleep at night, at least until they have proven that they can coexist in that run. When I'm integrating I don't care where they sleep as long as it is predator safe and not in my nests. They'll work that stuff out later.

Good luck.
Thank you, this is SO helpful! I will be out of town Thursday-Sun, should I keep them separated until then and start implementing what you suggested when I return? I can send lots of pics of my run and raised coop so you can visualize a bit better, I’ll do that shortly.

Yes, I would wait until you return.

I have had very good luck in exchanging their places. The thing is, seeing a space is not the same as being in a space and able to explore without being chased for your life. And I swear, the others get used to seeing them in their place. It seems to let the new ones develop a few territorial rights.

So put your original girls in the 'paddock' and the newbies out in the main coop/run for the day. Let everyone out as close to dark as you can. The urge to roost will be about as strong as the urge to fight.

I would carefully watch the comet - if she is aggressive, you can pull her back into the paddock for a few days.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom