Integrating 2 ages of chicks.

Traceaskew

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2015
Maryland
I have 3 silkies that are almost 6 weeks old. They've been out in the coop for 3 weeks. A week ago got 12 day old LF chicks of a few different varieties. I planned to put a divider between them until they got used to eachother. Today I decided to put them all together in the coop and see how it went, More out of curiousity than anything else. I watched them for about 30 minutes and there were no problems! A couple of the younger chicks stretched up their necks at the silkies and seemed to challenge them but one quick peck on the head put them in their place and that was that! I put the divider up anyway because I was nervous to leave them. What do you guys think? Was I being paranoid? Would problems arise immediately if they were going to come up?

Hi, when the larger birds get a bit older they may challenge your smaller silkies. I'm going to have a similar issue. I have ALL silkies about 3 and 1/2 years old. This year I ordered 5 female barred rocks who will become full size. I'm not as much worried about when their chicks but more teens when they challenge the dynamic of the flock.my Silkies are nothing but sweet I'm just Praying while young the order is established and not challenged later.silkies are bantams and so small. also it's NOT GOOD for silkies to be pecked in the head!! I just hope it all works out good for my silkies!! As growing chicks even silkies establish a order flying at each other and sparring finding out who is who in the flock dynamic. If you or I get a especially domanite female, they can challenge the bantam later when there bigger. I'm hoping not but I'm aware it's possible.As they grow, keep a eye out for signs of challenges. make sure no one is getting overly assertive..like excessively pecking at the other or keeping it away from food or flying at or on top of the other. if this does happen you and I might need a plan B. my plan B will be to split the run and keep my Silkies safe. Remember Silkies when grown will be a whole LOT smaller than full size birds.They might need protected. I'm hoping as you are for a integrated flock. However just in case it won't hurt to have plan B

As long as you have adequate heat to meet the needs of the younger birds, and enough room for them, they should be fine. I recommend at LEAST 1 - 2 s.f./bird after the first couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom