Integrating 2 chickens to my existing flock

kengboss21

Chirping
Oct 10, 2023
NYC
I have a 18 week EE and an 8 week SL Wyandotte that I’m trying to integrate with my existing flock of 4 currently. They’ve been separated in this see-no-touch cage for about a week. Yesterday I let them free range together out of this enclosure and the 2 got chased around and pecked, how should I proceed?
A9E26D60-8500-465D-BB9D-60BADD347083.jpeg
25094F99-C75B-46C4-A061-780EF695981A.jpeg

let me tagg a chicken authority... @K0k0shka Are you able to give advise?
Aww, I'm flattered 😊

Yesterday I let them free range together out of this enclosure and the 2 got chased around and pecked, how should I proceed?
You're doing the right thing - see-no-touch. Maybe they need another week. Give them some more time and try again. And keep in mind that even with a successful integration, there will still be some chasing and pecking. Chickens don't like newcomers, and may never fully accept them - the goal is for them to tolerate without injury, not really accept (accept would be a nice bonus, but doesn't always happen). I have some chickens that have been fully integrated for 2 years now, but the original hens still dislike them and make it known at every opportunity. The 2-year-olds similarly dislike the ones that came after them, who similarly dislike this year's chicks, and so on, and they all stick to their peers in micro-flocks within the flock. Which is fine, as long as there is no blood or pulled feathers, and nobody is preventing anybody from eating, drinking, laying, and roosting. I see that even your older ones are still quite young, so that ups the chance of success, too. Once they are all together, make sure they have lots of space (ideally above the recommended minimum, or at the very least at the minimum, of 4 square feet per bird inside the coop and 10 per bird in the run). And give them multiple feeding and watering stations so the old ones don't hog the food and water. Good luck!

Aww, I'm flattered 😊

You're doing the right thing - see-no-touch. Maybe they need another week. Give them some more time and try again. And keep in mind that even with a successful integration, there will still be some chasing and pecking. Chickens don't like newcomers, and may never fully accept them - the goal is for them to tolerate without injury, not really accept (accept would be a nice bonus, but doesn't always happen). I have some chickens that have been fully integrated for 2 years now, but the original hens still dislike them and make it known at every opportunity. The 2-year-olds similarly dislike the ones that came after them, who similarly dislike this year's chicks, and so on, and they all stick to their peers in micro-flocks within the flock. Which is fine, as long as there is no blood or pulled feathers, and nobody is preventing anybody from eating, drinking, laying, and roosting. I see that even your older ones are still quite young, so that ups the chance of success, too. Once they are all together, make sure they have lots of space (ideally above the recommended minimum, or at the very least at the minimum, of 4 square feet per bird inside the coop and 10 per bird in the run). And give them multiple feeding and watering stations so the old ones don't hog the food and water. Good luck!
Thank u so much for the informative answer, will take ur advice 👍🏿

Back
Top Bottom