Integrating 3-month-olds with 1-year-olds

Mostly you need to understand chicken society. I call it bowing to the queen. When the chick and hen meet, the chick must make way, and preferably get out of sight, this tells the hen, that she is duly respected. I have seen a chick scoot away, around a piece of plywood, and right back around to eat, right next to the biddy, in less than 5 seconds.

But where things can go wrong, is a wide open run. Where as every bird can see every other bird 100% of the time. Then the lower bird cannot bow, cannot give way. And even though she moves off, the older bird thinks she is not respectful, so follows her in pursuit, and pecks her harder...but there is still no place to go, and then gets a harder peck, and it gets out of hand.

But if there are lots of hideouts, preferably hideouts where a chick can escape to, but a older hen cannot follow. A pallet just up on blocks maybe with 6 inches of clearance, all the way around, works well. A chick can run under there like through water, and older hen might stick her head in there and reach... but will drastically slow her down, and more than likely, she will pull back, her point having been made.

Another way that has worked for me, is fencing made of lattice. 3 week old chicks on one side with food and water. A pallet set up no too far away. The chicks dance out, test the area, retreat when threatened.

Or a woven fence for a couple days, then raise the fence up off the ground all the way around, just a couple of inches.

This allows the flock and chicks to work it out on their own terms. Chicks learn who to give wide berth to, and who is not so cranky. They will follow the hens to the coop in a relatively quick time, and the integration is complete in a week.

Mrs K

Mostly you need to understand chicken society. I call it bowing to the queen. When the chick and hen meet, the chick must make way, and preferably get out of sight, this tells the hen, that she is duly respected. I have seen a chick scoot away, around a piece of plywood, and right back around to eat, right next to the biddy, in less than 5 seconds.

But where things can go wrong, is a wide open run. Where as every bird can see every other bird 100% of the time. Then the lower bird cannot bow, cannot give way. And even though she moves off, the older bird thinks she is not respectful, so follows her in pursuit, and pecks her harder...but there is still no place to go, and then gets a harder peck, and it gets out of hand.

But if there are lots of hideouts, preferably hideouts where a chick can escape to, but a older hen cannot follow. A pallet just up on blocks maybe with 6 inches of clearance, all the way around, works well. A chick can run under there like through water, and older hen might stick her head in there and reach... but will drastically slow her down, and more than likely, she will pull back, her point having been made.

Another way that has worked for me, is fencing made of lattice. 3 week old chicks on one side with food and water. A pallet set up no too far away. The chicks dance out, test the area, retreat when threatened.

Or a woven fence for a couple days, then raise the fence up off the ground all the way around, just a couple of inches.

This allows the flock and chicks to work it out on their own terms. Chicks learn who to give wide berth to, and who is not so cranky. They will follow the hens to the coop in a relatively quick time, and the integration is complete in a week.

Mrs K
Wow! You are a chicken goddess! Thank you for your wisdom. I think I need a few more hiding places. I’m space-limited so will need to get creative...

I use a grow out pen that has an opening that is big enough to let the younger birds out, but small enough to keep the big birds out, especially the cocks. I have found that the younger birds will spend most of their time with the flock, but usually return to the pen to roost at night.

Space is very important.
Looks like you have two prefab coop/run combos?
Pics of your entire space would help here.
Yes, that’s right. The combined run space is 16’ L x 3.5’ W. Under the tarp are some hiding spaces that have worked, but on the opposite side with the wooden wind barrier, I haven’t figured out what to put below for a safe space. There are 4 total chickens in this space.

Attachments

• 3557F7A5-2659-4AF5-B187-022F41A91BF4.jpeg
    3557F7A5-2659-4AF5-B187-022F41A91BF4.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7
I would toss some boxes in there, or small pieces of plywood, or totes on their side. I would add some roosting posts outside of the coop. It will look more cluttered, but it will make much better use of the vertical space, which your chickens can't use in this set up. Add an old ladder, or chairs or saw horses.

Mrs K

I would toss some boxes in there, or small pieces of plywood, or totes on their side. I would add some roosting posts outside of the coop. It will look more cluttered, but it will make much better use of the vertical space, which your chickens can't use in this set up. Add an old ladder, or chairs or saw horses.

Mrs K
Thank you! I did this and have been redoing as I see opportunity for a better setup. What keeps happening is the two young ones run to a hiding spot and the two elder ones wait outside that spot, effectively trapping the young ones. :( is this normal or should I keep rearranging until it’s more or less not possible?

What keeps happening is the two young ones run to a hiding spot and the two elder ones wait outside that spot, effectively trapping the young ones
Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

Yes, you need a "back door" so that the hideout is not a trap. It needs multiple entrances and exits. While I have pallets leaned against the wall, but ends are open, I also have objects in the middle of the run. Breaking up the flat out straight line run at a bird. Chicks will be quicker, and more agile and fit through smaller gaps.

But I will admit, sometimes an older gal can be heartless. If so, put one of the older gals in a dog crate, or both of them in the dog crate for a week. They will complain, ignore it. This will let the the younger birds explore the area, become more confident in the area, and less victim like. And the older ones can get used to seeing them in their territory. BUT KEEP THE CLUTTER, add more.

Set up the feed bowls so that a bird eating at one spot, cannot see a bird eating at another spot. Feed and water them in the hideout.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom