Integrating 4 -19 + week old pullets with rooster

luvmychickenz

Chirping
Jul 10, 2015
Abita Springs, LA
We have a blue Copper Marans rooster who has been kept in coop with 3 sex links for over a year now. However, we would like to move him with 2 full grown Cream Legbar hens and our 4 blue Copper Marans pullets. As next spring we plan to breed them. The Marans Are 19+ week old pullets. Are they still too young to be placed with a rooster? Thanks!

I would think it would work well . rooster + 3 hens into the set up of the 2 full grown bird + 4 copper marines.

I always think of it like numbers with plus and minus. If you give two points to the rooster, you are adding 5 to 6. Which is a pretty equal mix.

I am assuming a couple of things, because basically you are taking two smaller flocks and combining them into one big flock, doubling it. So a big question is space. Measure and count the birds. If you have enough space, I think this should work with little problems.

However, no one can really predict, so do keep an eye out, and have some hideouts available for the smaller birds.

Mrs K

ps. It just occurred to me, perhaps you mean to put the rooster with just the pullets in one coop, and the other layers in the other coop? If so, then I would wait another 4-8 weeks.

Mrs. K, Thanks for your response. You were correct on your initial understanding, I will be placing the rooster with the pullets and layers together.
We have 3 large coops that my husband built. And we had a smaller coop. We have been having the 4 Marans pullets alone in the smaller coop growing up by themselves. However, they all free range along with all of our other roosters and hens.

The 3 sex link hens are the problem. They just won't accept any other hens in the coop and beat them up, regardless of the different techniques we tried. Although they have been with the Marans rooster for over a year, we want the Marans to breed together. We were going to put the sex inks in the smaller coop.

The two older Cream Legear layers are so very laid back and were just introduced into another group of hens when given to us a couple of months ago, they go with the flow. They are getting along well with the Marans pullets. The other groups of roosters and hens are established.

Based on this information, does this clarify the circumstances better? Do you still think ok to put rooster with them? Thank you so much!

I would put the three sex link birds in the smaller coop, by themselves. Sometimes a rooster will stop hens being aggressive, but sometimes they won't. If those girls are aggressive, it is just not going to go away. Don't hatch out their eggs. They generally are great egg layers, but don't live for a long time, mine have all been done living around 3 years old. Being you have the set up to separate birds, those are the ones I would pull. Trade places with pullets and those three.

Put the rooster with the pullets and anyone else you think will go together such as the cream Legear. You might take a good look at the other flock, even though it is established, sometimes when creating a new flock the more strangers the better. Maybe you could pull a couple from that flock. However, if you have a good rooster, there should not be any problem. But always be aware and have some hideouts, and maybe a couple of feed bowls available.

But really I think it would be a go if you don't include the sex link birds. I think that they might be your big problem.

Mrs K

Last edited:
On rereading your post, I see that was the plan - well great minds think alike. haha

I think you are worried about the mature rooster with the immature pullets. Right now, I have the same set up, and my pullets are doing just fine, but they are a sub flock within the flock, and they were raised in this flock. Mostly the older birds just ignore them. In the past, when they started laying, they become one flock.

Maybe is the answer, better odds with a few more older birds, such as a few from the other flock, but it might work, or it might not be too pretty, your older rooster should have more sense, and as long as he has a couple of other hens, I think you will be ok, but they will probably not make an established flock until the pullets start laying.

Mrs K

I'd put the rooster in with the CCLs and the Marans. the Marans are old enough to be mated, even if they're not laying quite yet.

then, if you want to house the sex links in the same pen, add them one at a time. One hen alone won't cause near the issues with a new group as a trio of bullies who have each other's backs. Once the single hen is fitting in okay (maybe a week), add in another. rinse and repeat for the last bird. It may take a month or so, but everyone should be able to live together.

We have a blue Copper Marans rooster who has been kept in coop with 3 sex links for over a year now. However, we would like to move him with 2 full grown Cream Legbar hens and our 4 blue Copper Marans pullets. As next spring we plan to breed them. The Marans Are 19+ week old pullets. Are they still too young to be placed with a rooster? Thanks!

Mine where a couple of weeks younger than that when i introduced them to my rooster and his hen and the only time they really bothered them is when they would jump in and eat when there trying to eat

I'd put the rooster in with the CCLs and the Marans. the Marans are old enough to be mated, even if they're not laying quite yet.

then, if you want to house the sex links in the same pen, add them one at a time. One hen alone won't cause near the issues with a new group as a trio of bullies who have each other's backs. Once the single hen is fitting in okay (maybe a week), add in another. rinse and repeat for the last bird. It may take a month or so, but everyone should be able to live together.
Thanks donrae! I don't know why I never considered placing the sex links in one at a time. That sounds like a great idea. I am happy to work on the alternative on getting them all the be together, even if it takes a month.

Mine where a couple of weeks younger than that when i introduced them to my rooster and his hen and the only time they really bothered them is when they would jump in and eat when there trying to eat
Thanks Roada! I am a little more concerned now about putting them with rooster yet. Yesterday when all the chickens were free ranging together, one of my "teenaged" roosters went after one of the BCM pullets, pulled out several feathers and hurt her. The rooster is still learning technique I guess and was struggling to get the deed done, my poor pullet was screaming because he was pulling her feathers out as she was fighting to get away, so I when I finally was able to chase him off her, she just laid there sprawled out and traumatized. She is ok now, but clearly doesn't seem ready to be mated by rooster.

Im so sorry mine really didnt bother each other my rooster is just a really good rooster he lets his ladys eat before he will and he dont ride my hens if they arnt feeling well like my hen that is recovering from being eggbound im so sorry about your pullet

Back
Top Bottom