Integrating 6 week old chicks

Thanks. I think I am going to section of a part of the run for that purpose when I reintroduce her. I also ordered pinless peepers but I'm not sure if she's too young yet to use them. She's interesting. With me she's docile and completely un afraid. She doesn't seem to mind being alone either.

Last edited:
Let them fight it out......place to hide, lots of space, throw down some treats, etc,etc,etc........as long as no one's bloody.

Every time you step in to 'help' they have to start over.

I have 4 6 week old chicks that I'm putting out in the coop tomorrow, then i have 2 Bantie chicks and 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes that are all one week old that area in a separate brooder and will be until they are about 5-6 weeks old. Any suggestions on how to integrate then when the time comes?

I have 4 6 week old chicks that I'm putting out in the coop tomorrow, then i have 2 Bantie chicks and 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes that are all one week old that area in a separate brooder and will be until they are about 5-6 weeks old. Any suggestions on how to integrate then when the time comes?

So, we're talking about a five-week age difference. The thing about keeping chicks separate that are so close in age like that is they will then form two separate groups or units and it makes each group "outsiders" to each other. That makes integration a big deal.

It's far better to raise them all within close proximity so they will become accustomed to being all one group. The size difference right now is great enough you need to prevent them from coming together lest the big ones pick on the smaller ones.

But the solution is to put the younger ones in the coop with the big ones with a partition of poultry mesh or hardware cloth and a heat lamp or 100 watt incandescent bulb over the section where the younger chicks are. Each group has there own food and water. After the smaller ones no longer need heat, you can then let them all merge, refereeing if needed. Providing things for the small ones to hide under or hop up onto will greatly help if there is friction.

Purina start and grow. I read they sometimes feather pull if they are low on protein. I now have two feather pullers and four chickens with bloody tails.

Purina start and grow. I read they sometimes feather pull if they are low on protein. I now have two feather pullers and four chickens with bloody tails.
Reading back I think you have a integration problem not a protein problem, I'd just keep the peckers separated with wire for a few weeks.
Are they all out in the coop now.....but separated by wire?
Leave them separated until you get your run done then let them all out together with some treats thrown down for distraction.

That feed should have plenty of protein in that feed, unless you are feeding alot of 'treats' that is diluting their feed nutrients.

It's frustrating I know........
......it took me a month or more of shuffling chicks between enclosures to integrate my different aged chicks last year.

Last edited:
My husband finished the run so I had sectioned off part of it already for my one pecking chicken. When I discovered the bloody tails and the culprit I put her on the other side of the run also. I put them both in a brooder because it was late by then. I'm going to have my husband section off the coop today. Thanks for your help.

Pin feathers are full of blood......if they peck them and they start bleeding then the birds go to town on that blood.

I had one last spring, about 6-7 weeks old, got a tail pin bleeding........
.....it would not stop bleeding, even with blood stop powder, and I had to pluck it right out with needle nose pliers to stop the bleeding.
Then I could get it cleaned up and put it back.

Back
Top Bottom