Integrating a new rabbit didn't go well, help?

ilikepigeons

Songster
Nov 11, 2021
New Zealand
We currently have 5 rabbits, 4 are in a group and the remaining rabbit we (if possible) would like to integrate him to the group.
The existing group is 2 spayed older females, 1 young neutered male and an older alpha male (Milo) that was neutered late, he is quite aggressive at times.
The other rabbit is a rescued wild buck/intact male (Willow) who is about 3 years old, we had him since he was just weaned and he hasn't had much socialization, he isn't able to be released because he has a missing eye which needs ongoing treatment. We could consider neutering him if it would really help that much. I'm not sure if he's too old, or he's only dominant from his hormones, or that's just his personality in general.
He gets along fine with all the rabbits except Milo. When I put him in there they immediately started fighting, it was not too violent until Milo decided to latch onto him and they fell on the ground in a kicking fit, I had to separate them immediately, they would've killed each other.
Willow is stuck in a hutch with not the most interesting life, if he was to be able to be with the group of others in their massive runs he'd be much happier.
If there is any way I can make this work I'd like to, if anyone has any advice it'd be much appreciated.

Neutering might help. I know it is strongly recommended for anyone keeping rabbits in groups, but I have no personal experience.

If you don't want Willow alone, but he does not get along with Milo, maybe split the rabbits into two groups? That way no-one would be alone, but those two could be in different groups.

Since you say Willow is 3 years old and you've had him for most of that time, you could just have him keep living in the same conditions he has been for all those years.

Rabbits are not nearly as social as people like to think they are. As Bunnylady put it so eloquently, rabbits get along just fine with others until they don't. Then it can get pretty bloody.

You don't want to remove his ball, right?
You have many options you can take before neutering him if that the case.
1) get more females.
2) build a run and put him there with someone he likes.
3) remove milo.
4) build a run and put milo in there with a couple friends.
5) let them fight until they figure a new order.
6) leave your buck where he is now.
7) move him to a rabbit reservation.
8) introduce him to some ginea pigs.
9) get more females and put them with the buck, then introduce all of them to the existing group.
10) place the buck in your house and potty train him.

These are all my suggestions, but I bet there are even more options.

1) get more females.
If you want to try that, make sure all the new females are spayed, unless you want LOTS of bunnies!

...These are all my suggestions, but I bet there are even more options.
That's quite a variety of ideas :thumbsup
(Definitely more than I thought of!)

1) get more females.
2) build a run and put him there with someone he likes.
3) remove milo.
4) build a run and put milo in there with a couple friends.
5) let them fight until they figure a new order.
6) leave your buck where he is now.
7) move him to a rabbit reservation.
8) introduce him to some ginea pigs.
9) get more females and put them with the buck, then introduce all of them to the existing group.
10) place the buck in your house and potty train him.

These are all my suggestions, but I bet there are even more options.
Options 5 and 8 are unacceptable.
5. Let them fight. --- this is horrible. Rabbits can and will fight to the death. This should not be done.
8. Intro to guinea pigs. ---contrary to days of old when this was considered an option, it really is not. Each species can be asymptomatic carriers of virus that is harmful (or deadly) to the other. They also do not "speak" the same language. This can lead to utter frustration on the part of each animal. I've heard several occasions where an inadvertent kick from a rabbit caused serious injury or death to a piggie.

Option 10 would be a great idea!
10. place the buck in your house --- he may not litter train too well if he isn't neutered, but you could try it.

Options 5 and 8 are unacceptable.
5. Let them fight. --- this is horrible. Rabbits can and will fight to the death. This should not be done.
8. Intro to guinea pigs. ---contrary to days of old when this was considered an option, it really is not. Each species can be asymptomatic carriers of virus that is harmful (or deadly) to the other. They also do not "speak" the same language. This can lead to utter frustration on the part of each animal. I've heard several occasions where an inadvertent kick from a rabbit caused serious injury or death to a piggie.

Option 10 would be a great idea!
10. place the buck in your house --- he may not litter train too well if he isn't neutered, but you could try it.
Agreed, rabbits fight to the death, often both dying from the serious injuries. I like the idea of putting him with a doe that gets along with him and keeping the others with Milo. I also would consider leaving things the way they are. My bucks and does all lived in their own bachelor and bachelorette pads, and I would swap a single rabbit out weekly into a rabbit run. I would sit daily with a different rabbit each time in a play pen. Being show rabbits, some meat rabbits, and one pet quality house mini Rex that was neutered and lived in a big hutch in my bedroom, it was safest for all to live separately. the show rabbitsvwere intact and part of a breeding program,so I couldn't risk them, ya know, multiplying like rabbits 😂
They were all "pets" in the sense that I handled them every day and played games with them like "roll the ball", find the treat, here's a stick (I'd hold out a chew stick and see what the rabbit would do, they all reacted differently. One would grab it and toss it to the side, wasn't a fan of here's a stick I guess haha) and i practiced showing with them. But none liked to live in groups aside from the does and their litters. I miss my rabbits but I'm just not set up for them here. I was a lucky teen to grow up on the farm!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom