Integrating a new rooster

BeardedChick

Songster
11 Years
Jun 13, 2008
The Witness Protection Program
I am thinking about buying my hatchery ladies a well-bred rooster so I can have some purebred hatching eggs. However, I currently have a little Polish bantam roo that was raised with my flock (13 hens, all but one are standard sized).

If I get the new rooster, how do I go about integrating him into my flock? He's about the same age as my hens - 7 months. I do have the old turkey pen, which is empty. I assume I would put him and the female he ships with in there for quarantine for a couple of weeks before letting him in with my girls.

Then do I just have to wait and see if the roos try to kill each other? The Polish guy is such a scaredy cat, I can't imagine him doing anything other than running away from the new rooster. He really is the epitome of "chicken!".

I really should rehome the Polish roo- he's got a nice temperament, but he HATES the only bantam hen in the flock. I suspect because she is different from everyone, and he doesn't know that he is, too.
smile.png

You'll have to see what happens. You may be surprised how the Polish roo reacts. He's been "the man" for a while now - He might not want to give up his Alpha status easily. Try it and see. Rehoming may be necessary, but then again, maybe not.

Back
Top Bottom